V max of a RLC Circuit. Where did I go wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total impedance of a series circuit and using it to calculate the maximum voltage for each component by multiplying it with the maximum current. The importance of combining the reactances to find the total impedance is also emphasized.
mkematt96

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

Xc= 1/(wc) Xl= wl . See picture for remaining relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

File_000.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
The denominator in each of your voltage calculations should represent the magnitude of the total impedance of the series circuit. You've not combined the reactances to find the total reactance, but just used either XC or XL individually, which doesn't give you the total impedance when they're summed in quadrature (square root of sum of squares).

gneill said:
The denominator in each of your voltage calculations should represent the magnitude of the total impedance of the series circuit. You've not combined the reactances to find the total reactance, but just used either XC or XL individually, which doesn't give you the total impedance when they're summed in quadrature (square root of sum of squares).
So find impedence, then divide emax by it to get I max. Then multiply that by R, Xl, and Xc to find my V max for each component ?

mkematt96 said:
So find impedence, then divide emax by it to get I max. Then multiply that by R, Xl, and Xc to find my V max for each component ?
That's the idea, yes.

Related to V max of a RLC Circuit. Where did I go wrong?

1. What is the V max of a RLC circuit?

The V max of a RLC circuit refers to the maximum voltage that can be achieved in the circuit. It is the peak voltage that occurs when the circuit is at resonance.

2. How is V max calculated in a RLC circuit?

V max can be calculated using the formula V max = I max * X, where I max is the maximum current in the circuit and X is the reactance.

3. What factors affect the V max of a RLC circuit?

The V max of a RLC circuit can be affected by the quality factor (Q) of the circuit, the capacitance (C), the inductance (L), and the frequency (f) of the input signal.

4. Can the V max of a RLC circuit be higher than the input voltage?

No, the V max of a RLC circuit cannot be higher than the input voltage. The input voltage determines the maximum voltage that can be achieved in the circuit.

5. Where did I go wrong if my calculated V max does not match the measured V max?

If your calculated V max does not match the measured V max, it could be due to errors in measurement, incorrect calculations, or variations in the circuit components. Double check your calculations and measurements to identify the source of the discrepancy.