1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable constant?

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does the term variable constant make sense?
    There could also be an integration variable.

i.e in a function W(x) = int(e^(xy)) where y is the integration variable. So is x in this situation the constant variable? Or is the word constant unnecessary.

But in W(x)=x, x would be just be the variable.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the term "constant variable" makes no sense. Nor does it apply to the situation you cite. x could be a constant or it could be a variable exy is being integrated with respect to b. I.e. at each value of x.

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    you mean wrt y?

So W(x)=int(e^xy)dy but x is still a variable. Just like in W(x)=x. Do you think functions like W(x)=int(e^xy)dy is strange? Where or how does it appear usually?

5. Apr 14, 2007 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex] W(x) = \int_{y_1}^{y_2} f(x,y)\,dy [/tex]

doesn't seem that strange to me. The integrand is a function of two variables, but when you integrate over y, the y-dependence is eliminated, and what remains is a function of x only. Integration wrt y just gives you a number (in this case, a different number FOR EACH value of x). So what remains is a function of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?