VASIMR Plasma Thruster: Questions Answered

In summary, the VASIMR plasma engine uses a neutral gas as propellant, which is turned into plasma. It is not designed for use on Earth due to its inefficiency and high power requirements. The plasma coming out of the thruster is hot, but its effects depend on the environment and distance from the thruster.
AlkamlBan
First off, I want to apologize if this thread is in the wrong place but I am new this. Anyway, so I recently checked on the VASIMR plasma engine since I was interested in it. But one thing I didn't understand about it is if it ejects the neutral gas it uses. What I mean is that it obviously needs a neutral gas to work but does it eject it out of the thruster or can it be used "infinitely" (I mean for a long time not literally). In the case where it does eject it out the back is it possible for air to be inserted, have the neutral gases secluded and then use them for continuing the thrust?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi AlkamalBan.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

The gas is turned into the plasma propellant. Even if you could substitute air, from where would you source that supply of air?

http://www.industrytap.com/nasas-new-vasimr-plasma-engine-reach-mars-39-days/33646

Interesting, I was considering its capabilities for flight on Earth where it could have an air intake but I am not so sure if the heat for the plasma coming out the back would burn things or not.

Compared to more conventional propulsion methods it would be horribly inefficient in an atmosphere. It also requires too much power to be of practical use within the timescales of atmospheric flight.

It's basically a very low power electric rocket motor, its energy comes from the battery (chemical or nuclear, or solar cells). The propellant is not a fuel so is not a source of energy. The motor is not for use on Earth.

mfb said:
Compared to more conventional propulsion methods it would be horribly inefficient in an atmosphere. It also requires too much power to be of practical use within the timescales of atmospheric flight.
Ok got that, but one last thing I want to know is if the plasma coming out the back is hot enough to burn something at a distance or is it safe (aka hot but only at a small distance from the thruster?

It is very hot, but it has a low density. The effect will depend on what you do and how the environment looks like.

What is a VASIMR plasma thruster?

A VASIMR (Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket) plasma thruster is an advanced type of electric propulsion system that uses plasma (ionized gas) to generate thrust. It is designed for use in spacecraft propulsion and is currently being developed by NASA and private companies.

How does a VASIMR plasma thruster work?

A VASIMR plasma thruster works by using radio frequency waves to ionize gas into plasma. The plasma is then accelerated and directed through a magnetic nozzle, creating thrust. By varying the amount of power and frequency of the radio waves, the specific impulse (a measure of the efficiency of a rocket engine) can be adjusted, allowing for more efficient and longer-lasting propulsion.

What are the potential benefits of using a VASIMR plasma thruster?

The main benefits of using a VASIMR plasma thruster include increased efficiency, higher speeds, and longer travel distances for spacecraft. This type of propulsion system also has the potential to significantly reduce the time and cost of interplanetary travel, making space exploration more feasible and accessible.

What are the challenges of developing and implementing a VASIMR plasma thruster?

One of the main challenges in developing a VASIMR plasma thruster is the technology required to generate and sustain the high-powered plasma. Additionally, the system must be able to withstand the intense heat and magnetic forces involved in the ionization and acceleration process. Implementing a VASIMR plasma thruster also requires significant resources and funding.

When will we see a VASIMR plasma thruster in use?

While VASIMR plasma thrusters have been successfully tested in laboratory settings, they are still in the development and testing phase for use in space. It is difficult to predict an exact timeline, but NASA has set a goal to have a VASIMR plasma thruster ready for a human mission to Mars by the 2030s.