Example of a Non-Subspace in R^2 Closed Under Addition and Inverses?

In summary: That is the set of all real numbers. However, this set is not a subspace because it is not closed under scalar multiplication.
mrroboto
I don't understand this, can someone help?:

What is an example of a subset of R^2 which is closed under vector addition and taking additive inverses which is not a subspace of R^2?

R, in this question, is the real numbers.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a subset of R^2 such that it is a subspace?

Well you can add things but you can't subtract things. This should be a big enough hint.

ZioX said:
Well you can add things but you can't subtract things.

He mentioned additive inverses and closure under addition (implying 0 being an element), so he has no problem subtracting things. The key lies in the one part of the definition of a vector space that is left out.

slider142 said:
He mentioned additive inverses and closure under addition (implying 0 being an element), so he has no problem subtracting things. The key lies in the one part of the definition of a vector space that is left out.

I misread it. I thought the question asked to find something that fails to be a subspace because it's not closed under additive inverses.

To JasonRox: Yes, I can think of a subset, V, of R^2 that is a subspace. V= {(0,0)}. But I still don't understand how to approach this problem.

first try to solve a simpler problem.
are there nontrivial subgroups of the group [tex] (\mathbb{R},+,-,0) [/tex] ? that means is there a set [tex] A [/tex] with [tex] \{0\} \subset A \subset \mathbb{R} [/tex] such that [tex] A [/tex] is closed under addition and substraction?
once you have found such a subgroup [tex] A [/tex], is [tex] A^2 [/tex] a set with the desired property?

In order that a subset be a subspace, it must be closed under addition, additive inverses, and scalar multiplication. Since your subset is required to be closed under addition and additive inverse, there's only one place left to look!

Related to Example of a Non-Subspace in R^2 Closed Under Addition and Inverses?

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a new vector. It is done by adding the corresponding components of the vectors together.

2. How is vector addition represented?

Vector addition is often represented using the "head-to-tail" method, where the second vector is placed at the tip of the first vector and the resulting vector is drawn from the tail of the first vector to the tip of the second vector.

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a subspace?

To determine if a set of vectors is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This includes checking if it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and if it contains the zero vector.

5. What is the difference between a vector space and a subspace?

A vector space is a set of vectors that satisfies certain properties, while a subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies these properties. In other words, a subspace is a smaller vector space contained within a larger vector space.