Vector Addition: Finding the Resultant Vector and Angle

• Thread starter bwilhelm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: Yeah, I'm sorry. Poor choice of words... I'll edit the earlier post so he doesn't get confused.Thank you all very much!
bwilhelm
This one is giving me a headache.
Pretty sure i am wrong somewhere.
Did I add the vectors right?

Homework Statement

Vector A is 100 units at 30 degrees.
Vector B is 200 units at 140 degrees.
Find the vector sum R: R=A=B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is where I am:
100cos30 =86.6
100sin30 = 50

200cos140= -153
200sin140= 128.55

Add the X and Y's
86.6 -153= -67
50+128.55 = 178.55

Using Pyth. Thereom -67^2+ 178.55^2 = 165.5
so R= 155.5 units

Angle=
Tan (178.55/-67) then take the inverse Tangent = 75 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake with the pythagorean theorem. You should be squaring the entire component... ie: it should be:

(-67)^2 + 178.55^2

Not -(67^2) + 178.55^2

And the inverse tan is wrong.

Why is the inverse tan wrong?

bengaltiger14 said:
Why is the inverse tan wrong?

You didn't take into account the sign. tan(75) > 0, whereas you got something negetive.

Yes, and arctan(178.55/67) = 69.43 not 75...

You need to use the fact that the angle is in the second quadrant, to get the exact angle... so it's 180-69.43 = 110.57.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Yes, and even if you ignore the sign, it comes to 69.4 not 75...

first and foremost you can't ignore the sign because negative arctan is in the 4th quadrent and the positive of that is in the 2nd quadrent. Ignoring the negative is something you cannot do.

P.O.L.A.R said:
first and foremost you can't ignore the sign because negative arctan is in the 4th quadrent and the positive of that is in the 2nd quadrent. Ignoring the negative is something you cannot do.

Yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that there's another mistake on top of the sign mistake.

P.O.L.A.R said:

Don't you mean positive tan is the 1st and 3rd quadrant... negative tan is the 2nd and 4th quadrant?

learningphysics said:
Yes, I know. I'm just pointing out that there's another mistake on top of the sign mistake.

What mistake are you pointing out because you said to ignore the sign and you don't get the get the answer. If it is -75 you have to add 180 to get the angle in the right position which is 105 definitely different than 75. IS the answer negative or positive??

one more thing is that r=a=b or r=a+b?

learningphysics said:
Don't you mean positive tan is the 1st and 3rd quadrant... negative tan is the 2nd and 4th quadrant?

Yes but when you enter arctan in a calculator it gives you the answer in either the first or 4th quadrent.

P.O.L.A.R said:
What mistake are you pointing out because you said to ignore the sign and you don't get the get the answer. If it is -75 you have to add 180 to get the angle in the right position which is 105 definitely different than 75. IS the answer negative or positive??

one more thing is that r=a=b or r=a+b?

I was not telling him to ignore the sign. I said even if you ignore the sign...

Because arctan(178.55/-67) is not -75. It is -69.43. That is the mistake I was referring to.

So then the angle is 180-69.43 = 110.57.

learningphysics said:
I was not telling him to ignore the sign. I said even if you ignore the sign...

Because arctan(178.55/-67) is not -75. It is -69.43. That is the mistake I was referring to.

So then the angle is 180-69.43 = 110.57.

Ok I got you it just seemed that way.

I got the same thing by the way.

P.O.L.A.R said:
Ok I got you it just seemed that way.

I got the same thing by the way.

Yeah, I'm sorry. Poor choice of words... I'll edit the earlier post so he doesn't get confused.

Thank you all very much!

Related to Vector Addition: Finding the Resultant Vector and Angle

1. How do I know if I added the vectors correctly?

The easiest way to check if you added vectors correctly is by using the parallelogram method or the head-to-tail method. Draw the vectors to scale and then use a ruler to measure the resultant vector. If it matches the calculated result, you added the vectors correctly.

2. What should I do if the vectors have different units?

If the vectors have different units, you need to convert them to the same unit before adding them. For example, if one vector is in meters and the other is in centimeters, convert the centimeters to meters before adding them together.

3. Can I add more than two vectors at a time?

Yes, you can add more than two vectors at a time. You can use the same methods mentioned earlier (parallelogram or head-to-tail) to add multiple vectors. Start by adding two vectors, then add the third vector to the resultant vector, and so on.

4. Is it possible to subtract vectors?

Yes, you can subtract vectors. To subtract a vector, you need to reverse its direction and then add it to the other vector. This is known as the head-to-head method. Alternatively, you can also subtract vectors by adding the negative of the vector you want to subtract.

5. Are there any special rules for adding vectors?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when adding vectors. Firstly, the order in which you add the vectors does not matter. Secondly, the resultant vector is always in the same plane as the original vectors. Lastly, the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector can be found using trigonometric functions.