Solving Vector Applications: a-b Magnitude & Ball's Height

In summary, for the first question, to find the magnitude of a-b, one must add the corresponding components of a and b and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse. For the second question, the ball's vertical motion can be determined by breaking down its initial velocity into horizontal and vertical components and using the equation of motion to determine its position after 1.4 seconds. If the time to reach maximum height is less than 1.4 seconds, the ball will be falling back from its maximum altitude.
Huskies213
Can anyone explain what to do for these 2 ?

1.) If a=3i-4j, and b=4i-3j, what is the magnitude of the vector a-b?

2.) A boy throws a ball at an initial velocity of 26m/s at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal. How high above the projection point is the ball after 1.4 seconds ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the vector problem, i,j represent usually represent mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) vectors, e.g. in x,y-directions.

To add two vectors, one adds corresponding components.

let a = a1i + a2j, and b = b1i + b2j, so a + b = (a1+b1)i + (a2+b2)j. The subtraction is just the additive inverse, i.e. replace + with -.

The magnitude of a is just sqrt(a12+a22). Remember the formula for the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle - Pythagorean theorem.

In question 2, one has to resolve the vector given by "26m/s at an angle of 20 degrees" into horizontal and vertical components. The ball travels vertically with some velocity component, but decelerates due to gravity, reaches a maximum at some time T, and returns to the same initial elevation at time 2T (i.e. T up and T down - neglecting air resistance).

Using the vertical velocity component, one can establish the equation of motion as a function of time to determine where the ball is at 1.4 s. If T (time to max height) < 1.4 s, then the ball is falling back from its maximum altitude.

1. To solve for the magnitude of the vector a-b, we can use the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector, which can be found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In this case, we have a horizontal component of 3 and a vertical component of -4 for vector a, and a horizontal component of 4 and a vertical component of -3 for vector b. So, the magnitude of the vector a-b can be calculated as follows:

|a-b| = √[(3-4)^2 + (-4-(-3))^2]
= √[(-1)^2 + (-1)^2]
= √2
≈ 1.41

Therefore, the magnitude of the vector a-b is approximately 1.41 units.

2. To solve for the height of the ball after 1.4 seconds, we can use the equations of motion for projectile motion. The vertical displacement of the ball can be calculated as follows:

y = y0 + v0sinθt - 1/2gt^2

Where:
y = vertical displacement (height)
y0 = initial height (0 in this case)
v0 = initial velocity (26m/s)
θ = angle of projection (20 degrees)
t = time (1.4 seconds)
g = acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2)

Substituting the given values, we get:

y = 0 + (26m/s)(sin20°)(1.4s) - 1/2(9.8m/s^2)(1.4s)^2
= 8.6m - 9.66m
≈ -1.06m

This means that after 1.4 seconds, the ball is 1.06 meters below its initial projection point. To find the height above the projection point, we need to take into account the initial height of the ball, which is 0 in this case. Therefore, the height above the projection point after 1.4 seconds is 1.06 meters.

1. What is a vector application?

A vector application is a mathematical problem or scenario that involves the use of vectors to solve it. Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, if a vector has components a and b, its magnitude is √(a² + b²).

3. What is the significance of a-b magnitude in vector applications?

The a-b magnitude in vector applications represents the difference in magnitude between two vectors. It is often used to determine the net force or result of two vectors acting on an object.

4. How is Ball's height calculated using vector applications?

To calculate Ball's height using vector applications, you would need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it was thrown, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the height at various points in time.

5. Can vector applications be used in real-world situations?

Yes, vector applications are frequently used in real-world situations, such as in physics and engineering. They can be used to solve problems related to motion, forces, and many other physical phenomena.