1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Applications

1. Feb 9, 2006 #1
    Can anyone explain what to do for these 2 ?

1.) If a=3i-4j, and b=4i-3j, what is the magnitude of the vector a-b?

2.) A boy throws a ball at an initial velocity of 26m/s at an angle of 20 degrees above the horizontal. How high above the projection point is the ball after 1.4 seconds ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

For the vector problem, i,j represent usually represent mutually orthogonal (perpendicular) vectors, e.g. in x,y-directions.

To add two vectors, one adds corresponding components.

let a = a1i + a2j, and b = b1i + b2j, so a + b = (a1+b1)i + (a2+b2)j. The subtraction is just the additive inverse, i.e. replace + with -.

The magnitude of a is just sqrt(a12+a22). Remember the formula for the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle - Pythagorean theorem.

In question 2, one has to resolve the vector given by "26m/s at an angle of 20 degrees" into horizontal and vertical components. The ball travels vertically with some velocity component, but decelerates due to gravity, reaches a maximum at some time T, and returns to the same initial elevation at time 2T (i.e. T up and T down - neglecting air resistance).

Using the vertical velocity component, one can establish the equation of motion as a function of time to determine where the ball is at 1.4 s. If T (time to max height) < 1.4 s, then the ball is falling back from its maximum altitude.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?