Vector Calculus - Equations for planes tangent to given equation

In summary, to find a tangent plane to a point on a graph, one must compute the partial derivatives of the original function and then compute the remaining portion from the point that is given.
ysolidusx

Homework Statement

My problem is one pertaining to my Vector Calculus course. The assignment is asking us to "Find equations for the planes tangent to z = x2 + 6x + y3 that are parallel to the plane 4x − 12y + z = 7." The problem I'm having with the problem is the plural aspect. It states to find "Equation-S".
Variables are x, y, and z

Homework Equations

To reiterate:
z = x2 + 6x + y3
4x − 12y + z = 7
General form of the graph of a tangent plane
z = f(a,b) + fx(a,b)(x - a) + fy(a,b)(y - b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that in order to find a tangent plane to a particular point on the graph of some function one must compute the partial derivatives of the original function and then compute the remaining portion from the point that is given.

zx = 2x - 6
zy = 3y2

What is confusing me is the part about the plural. Is the plural part hanging me up and getting in the way, or do I use the normal vector to attempt to find a point on the original plane?
In addendum: I would like to apologize that my equations aren't in the proper TeX format. I'm only just getting the hang of writing TeX scripts.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ysolidusx! welcome to pf! :smile:
ysolidusx said:
"Find equations for the planes tangent to z = x2 + 6x + y3 that are parallel to the plane 4x − 12y + z = 7." The problem I'm having with the problem is the plural aspect.

eg, if it was a sphere, there would be two tangent planes (on opposite sides of the sphere) parallel to any given plane …

you have to find all of them! :wink:

So finding all of the planes would be akin to finding all of the lines through the origin by creating the general form of the equation:
y = Ax + B
Where A and B could be any constants and thus determine any line.

Thus to find the tangent planes, you would find a general form of the equation and then find those subsets that satisfy the constraint of being parallel to the given plane.

Thank you very much for the quick return on the message there. That explanation is quite simple but very helpful. I do greatly appreciate your assistance.

1. What is the purpose of using vector calculus in finding equations for planes tangent to a given equation?

Vector calculus allows us to analyze functions and surfaces in three-dimensional space, making it a useful tool for finding equations for planes tangent to a given equation. It allows us to understand the direction and rate of change of a surface, which is essential in determining the equation of a tangent plane.

2. How do you find the normal vector of a surface in vector calculus?

The normal vector of a surface can be found by taking the cross product of the partial derivatives of the surface equation. This normal vector represents the direction perpendicular to the surface at a given point and is essential in determining the equation for a plane tangent to the surface.

3. Can you explain the concept of a tangent plane in vector calculus?

A tangent plane is a plane that touches a surface at a single point, without intersecting it. In vector calculus, the equation of a tangent plane can be determined by finding the normal vector of the surface at the given point and using it to calculate the plane's equation.

4. What is the process for finding the equation of a plane tangent to a given equation at a specific point?

To find the equation of a plane tangent to a given equation at a specific point, we first find the normal vector of the surface at that point. Then, we use the point and the normal vector to calculate the plane's equation using the general formula for a plane in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding equations for planes tangent to a given equation using vector calculus?

Equations for planes tangent to a given equation have various applications in fields like engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, in engineering, these equations can be used to determine the slope of a surface at a specific point, which is crucial in designing structures such as bridges and buildings. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic 3D models by calculating the reflections and shadows of objects on a surface.