1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra

Tags:
  1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    I am in Calculus BC in high school right now and I am really enjoying it and have finished all of the material for the year and I have heard different things about what class comes after Calculus BC (I believe BC is equivalent to Calc 1 & 2 in college). I have heard the next class, aka Calc 3, is vector calc from some sources and multivariable from others and I am wondering if these subjects are similar? and what differences? and what comes first typically?

Additionally, I have heard that you need linear algebra for vector and multivariable so I am wondering if THAT comes first?? Basically I am confused on what I should focus on now that I have finished Calc 2.

I have tried to look up what comes next, but again I am getting mixed answers. Any help telling me the similarities and differences and what I should study first would be of great help!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

They're two names for the same thing.

I think at some schools you do, at others you don't. At the college where I work, linear algebra is not a prerequisite for vector calc. I would say go ahead and do whichever one looks more interesting to you. Vector calc is of course more directly related to the other calculus you've studied.

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3
    I suggest you take honors math courses once in college if you really want to work on theoretical physics. Just a thought.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #4
    ??? I don't want theoretical physics what does that have to do with this thread?

6. Dec 5, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This is "Physics Forums", after all. :oldwink: People tend to assume you're going to be a physics major unless you say otherwise.

7. Dec 5, 2014 #6
    Nah I'm just here to ask a math question :)

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7
    I suppose you are right. Still, take the honors classes lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook