Calculating Resultant Components

In summary, the resultant components of the vectors are (35.9, 17.3). Vector C does not have an x component as it lies on the y-axis. The correct computation for the magnitude and angle is 46.8 for magnitude and 0 degrees for the angle. The correct components for vector C are (0, 46.8). Adding all three components together, the resulting components are (35.9, 17.3).
vectorguy77
What are the resultant components of the vectors?

Homework Statement

Determine the sum of the following three vectors. Give the resultant in terms of a. components, b. magnitude and angle with x-axis.

Vector A has a magnitude of 66 at an angle of 28 degrees northeast (quadrant 1)
Vector B has a magnitude of 40 at an angle of 56 degrees northwest (quadrant 2)
Vector C has a magnitude of 46.8 at an angle of 0 (on y-axis between Quadrant 3 and 4)

Homework Equations

Vx = Dcos0
Vy = Dsin0
Vx = V1x+V2x+V3x
Vy = V1y+V2y+V3y
Vy/Vx = tan θ

The Attempt at a Solution

So here is how I started

A: Vx = +(66)(cos 28) = 58.27454
Vy = +(66) (sin 28) = 30.985

B: Vx = -(40)(cos 56) = -22.3677
Vy = +(40)(sin 56) = 33.1615

C: Vx = (46.8)(cos 0) = 46.8
Vy = (46.8) (sin 0) = 0

Then I would add the three parts of Vx to get overall Vx (58.27454-22.3677+46.8) = 82.70684 & the three parts of Vy to get overall Vy (30.085+33.1615+0) = 63.2467.

This means the components would be (82.70684, 63.2467) and I would continue with pythagorean theorem to get the magnitude & use the arctan formula to get the angle. However, my answer for components is incorrect, the book says it should be (35.9,17.3). What did I do wrong? Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your computation for vector C is wrong. I get their answer. How can it have an x component when it lies on the y axis?

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts or directions that make up a vector. A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. Vector components are typically represented by two or three numbers, depending on the dimensionality of the vector.

2. How do you find the components of a vector?

The components of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. To find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector, you can use the formula: horizontal component = magnitude * cosine of angle, vertical component = magnitude * sine of angle.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector components?

Scalar components refer to the individual quantities that make up a scalar, which is a quantity that only has magnitude (size) and no direction. On the other hand, vector components refer to the individual directions that make up a vector, which has both magnitude and direction.

4. Can vector components be negative?

Yes, vector components can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive component. For example, a vector with a negative horizontal component would be pointing to the left, while a vector with a negative vertical component would be pointing downwards.

5. How are vector components used in physics?

Vector components are used in physics to break down a vector into its individual parts. This allows for easier calculation of forces, motion, and other physical quantities. They are also used to analyze and solve problems involving multiple vectors and their interactions.