Vector Direction (west of North)

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car's direction and speed. The question is how to determine the final direction and speed of the car's travel, assuming its speed is constant and it ends up back at its starting point. The conversation includes different approaches to solving the problem, such as using the law of cosines and using distances instead of velocities. The conversation also mentions the possibility of solving the problem graphically.
baqi
Hi, my first post.. i am taking an intro physics class at uni and its been awhile since I've taken high school physics.

My question is if a car is moving 25 degrees west of North what direction is that? Is that the same thing as moving 155 degrees north of west?

How do I draw the vector?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
it is the same as 65 degrees North of West

vector.jpg

okay so here is the question:
a car is driven 25 degrees west of north with a speed of 6.5km/h for 15 min. then due east with a speed of 12km/h for 7.5 min the car completes the final leg in 22 min. What is the final direction and speed of her travel on the final leg (assuming her speed is constant and the car returns to its starting point at the end).
so I've drawn my vectors and I know it is heading west of south but I don't know how to approach this question.
The text I am using is James Walker 3 edition and the examples are absoluetely of no help!

I tried doing it and I got 2.7km/h ( but I don't think it is right)
How should look at this?

I did it again and this time I got 10.97km/h 32.5 degrees west of south.(or south of west?)..does that look right?

Last edited:
Take out the "of" and substitute the word "from."

"West of North" becomes "west from north." That is start with "due north" and rotate the required number of degrees to the west. You have gone west, from north.

I got 61 degrees south of west, (close to your answer) but the speed I calculted was less than half of what you got.

Likes gracy
okay I still don't get it...here is what I did:

I treated it as two separate triangles: (can I do that?)
6.5sin(25)=2.747
12-2.747=9.25 km/h
6.5cos(25) =5.89km/h
then c2=a2+b2

i calculated 4.58 km/h and 61.1 degrees south of west.

i used the law of cosines

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos C
c^2 = (1.5^2) + (1.625^2) - (2)(1.5)(1.625)cos 65
c = 1.68 km

speed = 1.68*(60/22)
speed = 4.58 km/h

to get the angle i did...

1.625*sin(25) = .687 km (distance from end of first vector to y axis)
1.5-.687 = .813 km ( horizontal distance from y-axis to end of 2nd vector)

sin(x) = .813/(1.68)
x = 28.9 degrees west of south or 61.1 degrees south of west

baqi said:
okay I still don't get it...here is what I did:

I treated it as two separate triangles: (can I do that?)
6.5sin(25)=2.747
12-2.747=9.25 km/h
6.5cos(25) =5.89km/h
then c2=a2+b2

instead of using velocities in your calculations try using distances by taking the velocity and multiplying it by the amount of time the person traveled. For instnace: 6.5 km/h * (15/60) = 1.625 km

oops sorry didn't read the above post thanks so much that makes more sense
BishopUser said:
i calculated 4.58 km/h and 61.1 degrees south of west.

i used the law of cosines

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcos C
c^2 = (1.5^2) + (1.625^2) - (2)(1.5)(1.625)cos 65
c = 1.68 km
Where did you get those values? (1.5 and the 1.635 from?)
speed = 1.68*(60/22)
speed = 4.58 km/h
60/22 what are those values?

to get the angle i did...

Sorry physics seems to be an extreme weakness for me!
Thanks so much for your help :bugeye:

1.5 is when you take 12km/h and multiply it by (7.5/60) . since the person traveled 7.5 mins you convert that into hours (7.5/60) which is .125 hours. you multiply that by 12km/h to get the distance traveled (1.5km). use this method to use distances instead of velocities in your calculations

60/22 is simply doing the converion in reverse since i got a distance value and i wanted to turn it back into a velocity (remember 22 is the number of minutes the person traveled on the last leg).

your methods seem correct you just need to use distances instead of velocities

Last edited:
BishopUser said:
1.5 is when you take 12km/h and multiply it by (7.5/60) . since the person traveled 7.5 mins you convert that into hours (7.5/60) which is .125 hours. you multiply that by 12km/h to get the distance traveled (1.5km). use this method to use distances instead of velocities in your calculations

60/22 is simply doing the converion in reverse since i got a distance value and i wanted to turn it back into a velocity (remember 22 is the number of minutes the person traveled on the last leg).

your methods seem correct you just need to use distances instead of velocities

I get it now.. I tried both ways once treating it as two separate triangles and the second using the cosine law and both worked ... and the angle was found too..

thanks again

Remember, you can solve this GRAPHICALLY! As long as you draw everything to scale and use a protractor, you can check your answer.

Related to Vector Direction (west of North)

1. What is the difference between vector direction and magnitude?

Vector direction refers to the orientation or angle of a vector in relation to a reference point, while magnitude refers to the size or length of the vector.

2. How is vector direction represented?

Vector direction can be represented using a diagram with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector, or by using a unit vector which indicates the direction and magnitude of the vector.

3. Can vector direction be negative?

Yes, vector direction can be positive or negative depending on the orientation of the vector. A positive direction means the vector is pointing in a clockwise direction, while a negative direction means the vector is pointing in a counterclockwise direction.

4. How do you calculate the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. By using the coordinates of the vector, the angle can be determined using inverse trigonometric functions.

5. What does it mean for a vector to be west of north?

When a vector is described as west of north, it means that the vector is pointing in a direction that is 90 degrees west of north on a compass. This can also be represented as a negative angle of -90 degrees or 270 degrees.