Vector dot product and parallel vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that points P, Q, and R are in a straight line and finding the vectors ##\vec{PQ}## and ##\vec{QR}##. It is suggested to use the dot product and the lengths of the vectors to find the angle between them. The book "Engineering Mathematics" is referenced and a quote about parallel and orthogonal vectors is provided. The concept of parallel vectors is discussed, including the case of anti-parallel vectors. The equation for a straight line in 3D space is also mentioned.
late347

Homework Statement

show that points P, Q and R are in a straight line
P (1, -3, 4)
Q ( 2, 2, 1)
R (3, 7, -2)

and find the vectors ## \vec{PQ} ## and ## \vec{QR} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In proving that the points are in a straight line, we might be able to use dot product.
In a straight line, means that the two vectors are parallel, (either in the same direction or opposite direction)

According to my math textbook it would appear that in the case of angle between vectors being zero degress, from there it follows that the vectors are parallel.

I was wondering about the second case when the vectors are in opposite direction but also parallel, wouldn't the angle between the vectors be 180 degrees?

From my understanding of parallel ( or in a straight line) in geometry, both cases may be possible for these vectors.

My textbook mentiosn only the 0 degree angle case

In any case it would seem to be prudent to compute the dot product of PQ and QR, and then find out the lengths of the vectors, and then finally find out what the angle actually is.

my textbook was Engineering Mathematics: Croft, Davison and Hargreaves.

Here is a quote page 219
If vector a and vector b are parallel vectors, show that a⋅b = |a| |b| . If a and b are orthogonal show that their scalar product is zero.

solution:
If a and b are parallel then the angle between them is zero. Therefore a ⋅b = |a| |b| cos(0deg)

Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:
I was wondering about the second case when the vectors are in opposite direction but also parallel, wouldn't the angle between the vectors be 180 degrees?
Yes, but point ##Q## is between points ##P## and ##R##, therefore ## \vec{PQ} ## and ## \vec{QR} ## point in the same direction.

late347 said:
In any case it would seem to be prudent to compute the dot product of PQ and QR, and then find out the lengths of the vectors, and then finally find out what the angle actually is.

my textbook was Engineering Mathematics: Croft, Davison and Hargreaves.

Here is a quote page 219
Indeed, since ##\mathbf{a} \cot \mathbf{b} = | \mathbf{a} | | \mathbf{b} | \cos \theta##, if ##\mathbf{a} \cot \mathbf{b} = | \mathbf{a} | | \mathbf{b} |##, then ##\cos \theta = 1##, meaning ##\theta = 0, 180^\circ##, and the vectors are parallel.

Likes late347
Do you know how to determine the equation for the straight line passing through two arbitrary points in 3D space?

Also, are you familiar with the cross product of two vectors? If so, do you recall that the cross product of two parallel vectors is equal to zero?

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
Do you know how to determine the equation for the straight line passing through two arbitrary points in 3D space?

Also, are you familiar with the cross product of two vectors? If so, do you recall that the cross product of two parallel vectors is equal to zero?

not really. I was taught about this dot product thing on Wednesday. I was just a little bit confused by the quote in the textbook which discussed a general casse of vectors a and b.

There was the statement that if a and b are parallel, then it follows that the angle is zero... But that doesn't seem to be the case that it can only be one angle, the zero degree angle?

For opposite sided vectors, those are still parallel, and it would seem that the angle between them (if you put the vectors tail to tail, wouldn't the angle be the 180 degrees?)

Or is there a definition of the angle between vectors that I missed somewhere?

It's probably a question of nomenclature. In the case where the angle is 180°, some would call that anti-parallel instead of parallel.

Likes late347
DrClaude said:
It's probably a question of nomenclature. In the case where the angle is 180°, some would call that anti-parallel instead of parallel.

I see, thanks for your input though. Studyin math always seems to bring out new tidbits like this. Especially studying math in English (not my native language):smile:

late347 said:
not really. I was taught about this dot product thing on Wednesday. I was just a little bit confused by the quote in the textbook which discussed a general casse of vectors a and b.

There was the statement that if a and b are parallel, then it follows that the angle is zero... But that doesn't seem to be the case that it can only be one angle, the zero degree angle?

For opposite sided vectors, those are still parallel, and it would seem that the angle between them (if you put the vectors tail to tail, wouldn't the angle be the 180 degrees?)

Or is there a definition of the angle between vectors that I missed somewhere?
If the dot product of a and b is equal to the product of the magnitudes of a and b, then the angle is zero.

The algebraic equation for a straight line in 3D is $$\frac{x-x_1}{x_2-x_1}=\frac{y-y_1}{y_2-y_1}=\frac{z-z_1}{z_2-z_1}$$

1. What is a vector dot product?

A vector dot product, also known as a scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How is the dot product useful in physics and engineering?

The dot product is useful in physics and engineering because it can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the power of a force, and the angle between two vectors. It is also used in calculating the projection of one vector onto another, which is important in determining the direction of a force or velocity.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the dot product?

The dot product has a geometric interpretation as it can be used to determine the angle between two vectors. If the dot product of two vectors is zero, it means they are perpendicular to each other. If the dot product is positive, it means the vectors are pointing in the same direction, and if it is negative, they are pointing in opposite directions.

4. What are parallel vectors and how are they related to the dot product?

Parallel vectors are vectors that have the same or opposite direction. This means that the dot product of two parallel vectors will either be equal to the product of their magnitudes (if they have the same direction) or negative of the product of their magnitudes (if they have opposite directions).

5. How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

To calculate the dot product of two vectors, you multiply their corresponding components and then add the products together. For example, if vector A = [a1, a2, a3] and vector B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product is calculated as (a1 * b1) + (a2 * b2) + (a3 * b3).