Analyzing Vector Fields: Determining Conservativeness

In summary: So the path is conservative. This is the same conclusion as if you had gone counterclockwise around the origin. Imagine going in a circle anticlockwise around the origin in the left-hand picture. At each point, the field E is making some angle to your direction of travel. As you advance a distance element vector dS, the energy transfer will be E.dS. If that scalar always has the same sign its integral cannot be zero. So the path is conservative. This is the same conclusion as if you had gone counterclockwise around the origin.
Miike012
Question: Which vector field is conservative?

I added two pictures of the vector fields in the paint document.

So far the only things I know about conservative vector fields are..

1. Net change is 0 for a closed path
2.there is some function f such that F = ∇f (F being the conserv. vector field)
3. Net change is independent of the path
4. Energy is always conserved

I don't know how to apply the top four facts to a picture of a vector field. So how can I determine if they fields are conservative?

Attachments

• vector field.jpg
    vector field.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
If you could find closed paths where the work going around wasn't zero that would show the field wasn't conservative. Or if you can convince yourself that you can't do that, it might be conservative.

LCKurtz said:
If you could find closed paths where the work going around wasn't zero that would show the field wasn't conservative. Or if you can convince yourself that you can't do that, it might be conservative.

Lets say I chose the closed path ... I created some randome one in the paint doc... how would you know if the work around the path is zero?

Attachments

• vector field.jpg
    vector field.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 353
What if that field represented wind velocity and you were riding a bike. Could you could find a path where the "wind is at your back" the whole way?

Miike012 said:
Lets say I chose the closed path ... I created some randome one in the paint doc... how would you know if the work around the path is zero?
For the path you've chosen, it's not clear whether it could be zero. Try a path around the origin instead.

haruspex said:
For the path you've chosen, it's not clear whether it could be zero. Try a path around the origin instead.

Even if I picked a path around the origin I don't know what I am looking at. What are you focusing your attention on when evaluating the field?

Miike012 said:
Even if I picked a path around the origin I don't know what I am looking at. What are you focusing your attention on when evaluating the field?

Did you read my post #4? Would it be the same going around the circle either way?

Miike012 said:
Imagine going in a circle anticlockwise around the origin in the left-hand picture. At each point, the field E is making some angle to your direction of travel. As you advance a distance element vector dS, the energy transfer will be E.dS. If that scalar always has the same sign its integral cannot be zero.

Related to Analyzing Vector Fields: Determining Conservativeness

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, at every point in a given space. In other words, it assigns a vector to each point in space, representing the magnitude and direction of the vector at that point.

2. How do you determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field is considered conservative if the line integral of the field along any closed path is equal to zero. In simpler terms, this means that the work done by the vector field in moving an object from one point to another is independent of the path taken.

3. What is the significance of a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field has the property that the work done by the field along any path is independent of the path taken. This makes it easier to calculate work and other physical quantities in a system, and it also has important implications in physics and engineering.

4. How do you analyze a vector field to determine its conservativeness?

To determine if a vector field is conservative, you can use the fundamental theorem of line integrals. This involves taking the curl of the vector field and checking if it is equal to zero. If the curl is zero, then the field is conservative.

5. Can a vector field be partially conservative?

Yes, a vector field can be partially conservative. This means that the field is conservative in certain regions but not in others. This can happen when there are sources or sinks in the field, which disrupt the flow and make the field non-conservative in those areas.