Proving the Relationship Between Distance and Intercepts in Vector Geometry

• Thread starter emma3001
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation 1/dsquared = 1/a squared + 1/b squared + 1/c squared by using the scalar equation for a plane with intercepts a, b, and c and the distance from the origin to the plane. The conversation also mentions finding the cross product of vectors AB and BC and solving for the scalar equation of the plane. A hint is given to use [bc, ca, ab] = abc[1/a, 1/b, 1/c] in the proof.
emma3001
If a, b, and c are the x, y and z intercepts of a plane respectively and d is the distance from the origin to the plane, prove that:

1/dsquared = 1/a squared + 1/b squared + 1/c squared

I made three points
A (a, 0, 0)
B (0, b, 0)
C (0, 0, c)

Then I made vector AB [-a, b, 0] and vector BC [0, -b, c]. Then I found the cross product of AB x BC, which gave me a normal vector of [bc, ac, ab]. If these are my A, B and C for the scalar equation of a plane, then:

bcx + acy + abz + D= 0
I solved for D, which is -abc.

Therefore, the scalar equation for the plane is

bcx + acy + abz -abc= 0

Now I am completely stuck as how to use that scalar equation to prove the above equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi emma! :smile:

Hint: [bc,ca,ab] = abc[1/a,1/b,1/c]. :smile:

thank you tiny-tim...

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented graphically as an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents its magnitude.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

Unlike a vector, a scalar only has magnitude and does not have a direction associated with it. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time.

3. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector?

A position vector is a vector that describes the location of a point relative to a fixed reference point. A displacement vector, on the other hand, describes the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the vector's magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of its components. In other words, the magnitude is the square root of the sum of the squares of the x, y, and z components.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction rules. This involves adding or subtracting the corresponding components of each vector to obtain the resulting vector.