Vector Addition and Subtraction in Three Dimensions

In summary, The points A, B, and C are given in terms of their position vectors, and point D is a fourth point that forms a parallelogram when connected in order with the other three points. To find the position vector of point D, you can use vector addition and subtraction without involving norms or unit vectors. The equation \vec{BA}=\vec{OD} - \vec {OC} is a correct approach to solving this problem.
fffff

Homework Statement

Point A (2i +j 2k)
Point B (3i +2j +5k)
Point C (4i +5j -2k)

the point d is such that abcd in that order is a parallelogram.

Find position Vector D

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i start of like this but I am getting the wrong answer.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5946/vectorak5.jpg

(BA)^1/2=(CD)^1/2

but its wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be useful to make a drawing.

Yes, but are those equations correct
I've realized my error.
culd you tell me the point of the unit vector.

Last edited:
You don't need to do anything involving norms or unit vectors here, so the square root stuff is way off base. It's really just a matter of vector addition, and subtraction.

[tex]\vec{BA}=\vec{OD} - \vec {OC}[/tex]
makes sense to me, the other equations don't really.

What is a vector in three dimensions?

A vector in three dimensions is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by a line segment with an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector. In three dimensions, the vector extends in three different directions (x, y, and z axes) and is often denoted by v.

How do you represent a vector in three dimensions?

A vector in three dimensions is typically represented using coordinates, also known as components. These coordinates can be written as an ordered triple (x,y,z) or as v = xi + yj + zk, where i, j, and k are unit vectors along the x, y, and z axes, respectively.

What is the magnitude of a vector in three dimensions?

The magnitude of a vector in three dimensions is the length of the vector. It can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude of the vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of its components: |v| = √(x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

How do you add and subtract vectors in three dimensions?

To add or subtract two vectors in three dimensions, you can use the parallelogram rule or the head-to-tail method. In the parallelogram rule, you draw a parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides, and the diagonal represents the sum or difference of the two vectors. In the head-to-tail method, you place the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector, and the sum or difference is the vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector.

What is the dot product and cross product of two vectors in three dimensions?

The dot product of two vectors in three dimensions is a scalar quantity that represents the projection of one vector onto the other. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and adding them together: v · w = (xv * xw) + (yv * yw) + (zv * zw). The cross product, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both vectors and has a magnitude equal to the product of their magnitudes and the sine of the angle between them: v x w = |v| * |w| * sin(θ).