Solving the Homework: Parametric Equation and Point of Intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the parametric equation for a line through a given point and perpendicular to two other lines, as well as determining the point of intersection between that line and a given plane. The resulting parametric form of the line is x = 2-t, y = -1+14t, z = 4+5t, and it is noted that the use of different parameters does not affect the solution.
Allenman
Am I doing this right?

Homework Statement

A.) Find the parametric equation for the line [itex]\overline{L}[/itex] through (2,-1,4) and perpendicular to the lines:
[itex]\overline{r_{1}}[/itex](t) = <1,2,0> + t<1,-1,3>
[itex]\overline{r_{2}}[/itex](s) = <0,3,4> + s<4,1,-2>

B.) Determine the point of intersection of the line and the plane 2x+2y-3z = 12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A
[itex]\overline{r_{1}}[/itex]X[itex]\overline{r_{2}}[/itex] = -1[itex]\overline{i}[/itex] + 14[itex]\overline{j}[/itex] + 5[itex]\overline{k}[/itex]
[itex]\overline{L}[/itex](t) = <2,-1,4> + t<-1,14,5>

so in parametric form:
x = 2-t
y = -1+14t
z = 4+5t

I'm kinda confused because one is with respect to "t" while the other is with respect to "s." Does it matter? I haven't done Part B yet because I want to make sure the first part is good first.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
No it doesn't matter what the parameter is. It's probably better that they are different

Yes, your result looks good.

I would write the parametric form of the line as an ordered triple. Maybe just a matter of taste.

Thanks guys! =)

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point on a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These equations allow us to describe a point's position in terms of other variables, and are often used in mathematics and physics to model complex shapes and movements.

2. How do you solve a parametric equation?

To solve a parametric equation, you must first eliminate the parameter by solving for it in one of the equations. This will give you a single equation in terms of x and y. Then, you can solve for x or y in this equation and substitute the value into the other equation to find the corresponding value. This will give you the coordinates of the point of intersection.

3. What is the point of intersection?

The point of intersection is the point where two curves or lines intersect. In the context of a parametric equation, it is the point where the x and y coordinates of two curves or surfaces are equal. This point can be found by solving the equations simultaneously to find the values of x and y that satisfy both equations.

4. Can you use parametric equations to solve real-world problems?

Yes, parametric equations are commonly used in real-world applications such as modeling the motion of objects, predicting the path of a projectile, or describing the behavior of a system. By using parametric equations, we can accurately represent complicated real-world scenarios and make predictions or solve problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations?

One limitation of parametric equations is that they may not always have a unique solution. In some cases, there may be multiple points of intersection or no intersection at all. Additionally, parametric equations may not be able to accurately model certain complex shapes or behaviors, and other mathematical tools may be needed. It is important to carefully consider the context and limitations when using parametric equations to solve problems.