1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector lines

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    Am I doing this right?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A.) Find the parametric equation for the line [itex]\overline{L}[/itex] through (2,-1,4) and perpendicular to the lines:
    [itex]\overline{r_{1}}[/itex](t) = <1,2,0> + t<1,-1,3>
    [itex]\overline{r_{2}}[/itex](s) = <0,3,4> + s<4,1,-2>

B.) Determine the point of intersection of the line and the plane 2x+2y-3z = 12

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part A
    [itex]\overline{r_{1}}[/itex]X[itex]\overline{r_{2}}[/itex] = -1[itex]\overline{i}[/itex] + 14[itex]\overline{j}[/itex] + 5[itex]\overline{k}[/itex]
    [itex]\overline{L}[/itex](t) = <2,-1,4> + t<-1,14,5>

so in parametric form:
    x = 2-t
    y = -1+14t
    z = 4+5t

I'm kinda confused because one is with respect to "t" while the other is with respect to "s." Does it matter? I haven't done Part B yet because I want to make sure the first part is good first.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    No it doesn't matter what the parameter is. It's probably better that they are different

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, your result looks good.

I would write the parametric form of the line as an ordered triple. Maybe just a matter of taste.

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4
    Thanks guys! =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook