1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector magnitude and direction question

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose vector C = vector A + vector B where vector A has components vector A x = 4, vector A y = 2 and vector B has components vector B x = -3, vector B y = -5.
    (a) What are the x- and y- components of vector C ?

I've solved this to figure out that x = 1 and y = -3 for C

(b)What are the magnitude and direction of vector C ?
    magnitude I've solved this to be 3.2
    direction ? (clockwise from the x-axis) This is what I can't get. I've solved for the angle and gotten -72 degrees using tan -3/1. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you say that answer is wrong. Perhaps you are not being accurate enough. 71 degrees, 35 minutes is slightly more accurate, 71 degrees, 34 minutes, and 36 seconds even more accurate. Or perhaps they want the answer in radians.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    It's an online problem that checks itself when you put in the answer. It's telling me that my answer of -72 degrees is wrong and I'm not sure why. Also, it wants it in degrees specifically.

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4
    I've solved this to figure out that x = 1 and y = -3 for C

If X is 1 then that would be east, and given that the Y component is negative, its south.

I don't know the details of the question, but try East 72 South

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps they want an answer between 0 and 360 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook