1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Planes & Orthogonality - Help!

1. Apr 25, 2009 #1
    Vector Planes & Orthogonality -- Help!

I must be doing something really stupid, and I'll kick myself when you point it out, but I'm having difficulty with this question:

Find the unit normal to the plane x + 2y – 2z = 15. What is the distance of the plane from the origin?

OK, so I know I need three points in the plane to identify it. I found points:

A = (15,0,0)
    B = (15,1,1)
    C = (13,2,1)

They all seem to satisfy the equation, right?

So now I find two nonparallel vectors in this plane:

A->B = 0i + 1j + 1k
    A->C = -2i + 2j + 1k

They do indeed join those points, right?

So now I want to find an orthogonal vector, so I take the cross product by calculating the determinant of the 3x3 matrix:

[i j k]
    [0 1 1]
    [-2 2 1]

= (1-2)i - (-2-0)j + (0+2)k
    = -i + 2j + 2k

This vector ought to be orthogonal to vectors A->B, A->C and B->C (and their negatives). But I try to test it with the usual method of adding up the parts and seeing if they result in zero, using A->C as my comparison vector:

(-2 * -1) + (2 * 2) + (1 * 2) = 8

Why doesn't this equal zero? I have a feeling that the middle (j) term is wrong, because if that was (2 * -2) then the whole thing would equal zero, but I don't see where I've got my signs wrong in the method.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Vector Planes & Orthogonality -- Help!

The second term in the sum should be -(0 - (-2))j = -2j.

4. Apr 25, 2009 #3

Oh, I see, so it doesn't wrap around! That's probably why it's "+ i - j + k". Thanks for that. I knew it was something simple. :smile:

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, you should have learned early that if a plane is given by Ax+ By+ Cz= D, the <A, B, C> is normal to the plane. You don't need to do all that work. Since the plane is given as x + 2y – 2z = 15, you know that a normal vector is <1, 2, -2>.

6. Apr 26, 2009 #5

Well for some reason that's not in our course, but I shall certainly be using it from now on!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook