Vector Planes & Orthogonality - Help

In summary, the question asked was to find the normal vector to a plane given by x + 2y – 2z = 15. The problem was that the method of adding up the terms was not giving a result that was zero. The solution was found by referencing a known theorem.
mrneglect
Vector Planes & Orthogonality -- Help!

I must be doing something really stupid, and I'll kick myself when you point it out, but I'm having difficulty with this question:

Find the unit normal to the plane x + 2y – 2z = 15. What is the distance of the plane from the origin?

OK, so I know I need three points in the plane to identify it. I found points:

A = (15,0,0)
B = (15,1,1)
C = (13,2,1)

They all seem to satisfy the equation, right?

So now I find two nonparallel vectors in this plane:

A->B = 0i + 1j + 1k
A->C = -2i + 2j + 1k

They do indeed join those points, right?

So now I want to find an orthogonal vector, so I take the cross product by calculating the determinant of the 3x3 matrix:

[i j k]
[0 1 1]
[-2 2 1]

= (1-2)i - (-2-0)j + (0+2)k
= -i + 2j + 2k

This vector ought to be orthogonal to vectors A->B, A->C and B->C (and their negatives). But I try to test it with the usual method of adding up the parts and seeing if they result in zero, using A->C as my comparison vector:

(-2 * -1) + (2 * 2) + (1 * 2) = 8

Why doesn't this equal zero? I have a feeling that the middle (j) term is wrong, because if that was (2 * -2) then the whole thing would equal zero, but I don't see where I've got my signs wrong in the method.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

mrneglect said:
[i j k]
[0 1 1]
[-2 2 1]

= (1-2)i - (-2-0)j + (0+2)k

The second term in the sum should be -(0 - (-2))j = -2j.

Oh, I see, so it doesn't wrap around! That's probably why it's "+ i - j + k". Thanks for that. I knew it was something simple. :smile:

Actually, you should have learned early that if a plane is given by Ax+ By+ Cz= D, the <A, B, C> is normal to the plane. You don't need to do all that work. Since the plane is given as x + 2y – 2z = 15, you know that a normal vector is <1, 2, -2>.

Well for some reason that's not in our course, but I shall certainly be using it from now on!

Related to Vector Planes & Orthogonality - Help

1. What is a vector plane?

A vector plane is a geometric surface that is defined by two linearly independent vectors. It is a two-dimensional space that extends infinitely in all directions and is commonly represented by a coordinate system.

2. How is orthogonality related to vector planes?

Orthogonality refers to a relationship between two vectors where they are perpendicular to each other. In the context of vector planes, two vectors are considered orthogonal if they lie in different directions within the plane and form a right angle at their point of intersection.

3. What is the significance of orthogonality in vector planes?

Orthogonality is significant in vector planes because it allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of data. By having orthogonal vectors, the components can be easily separated and analyzed, making calculations and measurements simpler.

4. How can I determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors are orthogonal, you can use the dot product formula. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to zero, then they are orthogonal. Alternatively, you can also check if the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees using the cosine formula.

5. Can three or more vectors be orthogonal?

Yes, three or more vectors can be orthogonal to each other. In fact, in three-dimensional space, three mutually perpendicular vectors are required to define a vector plane. This is known as the right-handed coordinate system and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.