Solve Vector Problem: Find x & y, Deduce Trisection of BD

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: V_0(1- \frac{x^2}{a^2})}{V_r}= \frac{V_0}{V_r}(1- \frac{x^2}{a^2}) In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a parallelogram and the relationship between its diagonals and the lines connecting the midpoints of its sides. It is proven that the lines CS and CT trisect the diagonal BD, dividing it into thirds. Additionally, the conversation covers the speed of a swimmer relative to the ground, given the speed of the current and the dimensions of a canal. The resulting equation is dy/dx = Vo/Vr (1-x^2/a^2).
ngkamsengpeter
1. The points S and T are midpoints of the sides AB and AD respectively of a parallelogram ABCD .The line CS and CT cut the diagonal BD at the points U and V respectively .
Show that BU = x BC + x CD and also BU = (1-y)BC +1/2 y CD , where x and y are constant.Hence show that BU=1/3 BD
Deduce that the lines CS and CT trisect the diagonal BD .

I can do the first two part but I don't know how to deduce that the lines CS and CT trisect the diagonal BD .Please help me .

2. A canal of width 2a has parallel straight banks and the water flows due north. The points A and B are on opposite banks and B is due east of A , with point O as the midpoint of AB . The x-axis and y-axis are taken in the east and north directions respectively with O as the origin. The speed of the current in the canal ,Vc is given by
Vc=Vo(1-x^2/a^2) where Vo is the speed of the current in the middle of the canal and x is the distance eastwards from the middle of the canal.A swimmer swims from A towards east at speed Vr relative to the current in the canal . Taking y to denote the distance northwards traveled by the sewimmer ,show that
dy/dx = Vo/Vr (1-x^2/a^2) .
I have no idea with this question . Is it want to find the velocity of the swimmer relative to ground ? But I cannot find the answer also if I find the velocity of the swimmer relative to ground . How to do this ?

Please help me . Thanks .:!)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You are able to show that BU= 1/3 BD? That says immediately that U is 1/3 the distance from B to D. You should by exactly the same argument, using D instead of B, be able to show that DV= 1/3 BD. That is, U and V cut BD into thirds- they trisect BD.

2. The speed of the swimmer, relative to the water, is Vr i and the speed of the current is V0(1-x^2/a^2)j so the speed of the swimmer relative to the ground is the sum of those vectors, Vr i + V0(1-x^2/a^2)j.
That is [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}= V_r[/itex] also
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}= V_0(1- \frac{x^2}{a^2})[/tex]
Now, just use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

1. How do I solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you will need to use mathematical principles such as addition, subtraction, and finding the magnitude and direction of vectors. You will also need to use trigonometry to find the components of vectors in different directions.

2. What is the purpose of finding x and y in a vector problem?

Finding the values of x and y allows you to determine the components of the vector in the x and y directions. This information is important in understanding the magnitude and direction of the vector.

3. How do I deduce trisection of BD in a vector problem?

In order to deduce the trisection of BD, you will need to use the midpoint formula and the properties of similar triangles. By setting up equations and solving for the unknown values, you can determine the coordinates of the point that trisects BD.

4. Can vector problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, vector problems can have multiple solutions. Depending on the given information and the equations used to solve the problem, there may be more than one possible solution. It is important to check your work and make sure the solution makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving vector problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect equations or formulas, forgetting to account for the direction of vectors, and making errors in calculations. It is also important to carefully read the given information and understand what is being asked in the problem before attempting to solve it.