Finding the Angle Between Two Vectors A & B

In summary, two vectors A = -2i + 5j and B = 2i + 3j are given and the angle between them needs to be found. From the book, A x B = -B x A is used to set up a determinant for the vector product. The answer is -16 but there is confusion as it was expected to be -6 + 10. To find the angle, the determinant can be used to calculate the product vector. From this, the angle can be found using the formula (AxB)=|A||B|sin(A,B), where A and B are the vectors, (AxB) is the vector product, and |A|/|B| are the lengths
vipertongn

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by A = -2 i + 5 j and B = 2 i + 3 j
Also find the angle between them

Homework Equations

Not really sure but from my book i get A x B = -B x A

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is -16, but I'm confused I thought that it should look like -6 + 10 but why is it minus ten?

How would I use this to find the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to set up a determinant for vector product? From the determinant you can easilly calculate the product vector. Remember the result of a vector product is always a vector.

When you know the vector product you can find the angle from

(AxB)=|A||B|sin(A,B)

Where A and B are the 2 vectors, (AxB) is the vector product and |A|/|B| are the lenghts of the vectors.

I would suggest using the dot product formula to find the angle between two vectors A and B:

cosθ = (A•B) / (|A| * |B|)

Where A•B is the dot product of vectors A and B, and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of vectors A and B, respectively.

In this case, the dot product of A and B is (-2*2) + (5*3) = -4 + 15 = 11. The magnitude of vector A is √((-2)^2 + (5)^2) = √(4+25) = √29. Similarly, the magnitude of vector B is √(2^2 + 3^2) = √(4+9) = √13.

Substituting these values into the formula, we get:

cosθ = (11) / (√29 * √13) = 11 / √377

Taking the inverse cosine of both sides, we get:

θ = cos^-1 (11 / √377) = 1.609 radians or 92.2 degrees (to the nearest tenth).

This means that the angle between vectors A and B is approximately 92.2 degrees.

As for the confusion about the answer being -16, it is possible that the student made a mistake in their calculations or misunderstood the question. The dot product should not result in a negative value, so -16 is not a correct answer in this case.

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between two vectors A and B?

The formula for finding the angle between two vectors A and B is given by the dot product of the two vectors divided by the product of their magnitudes. This can be represented as:

θ = cos⁻¹(A · B / |A||B|)

2. How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors A and B is calculated by multiplying their corresponding components and then adding the products. This can be represented as:

A · B = (Ax * Bx) + (Ay * By) + (Az * Bz)

3. What is the significance of the angle between two vectors A and B?

The angle between two vectors A and B is significant because it is a measure of the relationship between the two vectors. It can tell us if the vectors are parallel, perpendicular, or at an angle to each other. It can also help in understanding the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector when the two vectors are added or subtracted.

4. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be negative. This occurs when the two vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative cosine value in the formula for finding the angle. In this case, the absolute value of the angle is taken to determine the actual angle between the two vectors.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of the angle between two vectors?

Yes, the angle between two vectors can be geometrically interpreted as the angle between the two lines formed by extending the vectors from their initial points. It can also be seen as the angle between the two vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail.