What is the magnitude of the position vector at time t = 7.5 s?

In summary, a particle with constant acceleration moves in the x-y plane, with its position vector starting at d = 1.8 m x + 4.2 m y and its velocity vector at time t = 0 s being v = 1.7 m/s x - 1.7 m/s y. The acceleration is given by the vector a = 1.5 m/s2 x + 6.2 m/s2 y. To find the magnitude of the position vector at time t = 7.5 s, use the equation d = x0 + v0*t + (1/2)at^2 and solve for x and y separately, then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the
chaotixmonjuish
A particle moves in the x-y plane with constant acceleration. At time t = 0 s, the position vector for the particle is d = 1.8 m x + 4.2 m y. The acceleration is given by the vector a = 1.5 m/s2 x + 6.2 m/s2 y. The velocity vector at time t = 0 s is v = 1.7 m/s x - 1.7 m/s y.

What is the magnitude of the position vector at time t = 7.5 s?

I tried setting up two equations:
F(x)=1.8+1.7x+1.5x^2
F(y)=4.2-1.7y+6.2x^2

This yielding something like 340. That answer didn't bode well with lon capa. I'm just not sure how to set up an equation to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the equation

d = x0 + v0*t + (1/2)at^2

Use that in the horizontal direction... then in the vertical direction.

That's where my problem is. I'm not sure how to separate x and y.

I might be misunderstanding the problem... is this:

a = 1.5 m/s2 x + 6.2 m/s2 y

supposed to be:

[tex]\vec{a} = 1.5\vec{a_x} + 6.2\vec{a_y}[/tex] where [tex]\vec{a_x}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{a_y}[/tex] are unit vectors in the x and y directions?

I'm assuming they are just unit vectors... if they are supposed to be x and y, then acceleration isn't constant...

I myself don't even know. This is the joys of lon capa.

chaotixmonjuish said:
I myself don't even know. This is the joys of lon capa.

I'm guessing they are just unit vectors... in case you just divide the problem into two parts... first deal with horizontal displacement (ie x direction)

x0 = 1.8
v0 = 1.7
a = 1.5

hence x = 1.8 + 1.7t +(1/2)1.5t^2

calculate that for t=7.5... that gives x at 7.5

do the same thing in the y direction... that gives y at 7.5

Using the x and y you calculated... get the magnitude of the position vector using pythagorean theorem

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the quantity with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How is magnitude different from direction?

Magnitude refers to the size or numerical value of a vector, while direction refers to the orientation or angle of the vector in relation to a reference point or axis.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In vector terms, this means the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

4. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

A scalar quantity only has magnitude and no direction, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction.

5. How are vectors represented in mathematics?

Vectors are typically represented in mathematics using boldface letters or with an arrow above the letter to indicate direction. They can also be represented geometrically using an arrow with a tail and head, where the tail represents the starting point and the head represents the end point of the vector.