1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velecity of a galloping horse

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I am new to physics and am having trouble with this homework problem. I thought I understood it, but it told me I was wrong and I'm not quite sure why. Here is the motion diagram I was given in the homework for the problem:
    Physicsproblem.png

The question is: What is the horse's velocity during the first ten seconds of its gallop?

Seems easy enough?

I know v=Δx/Δt, and Δx= xf-xi, and Δt= tf-ti

So, from that I am figuring that the x on the diagram starts at 700m. At 10 seconds, the displacement would be 500-700= -200. The time would be 10 seconds (since it's going from 0s to 10s). Then, the velocity would equal -20m/s. But, the program is telling me that I am incorrect. Am I just reading/interpreting something wrong here? I think I understand, generally, what I'm supposed to be doing?

Thank you so much for any help on this!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do not have anything labeled "0s" but you have that rightmost dot that is not labeled. Is that "0s"? if so, that corresponds to 600 m, not 700. (700 m is not even on your graph.)

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    That is the graph that is given in the problem. I didn't create it. It says this in the problem, above the graph:
    The figure shows the motion diagram for a horse galloping in one direction along a straight path. Not every dot is labeled, but the dots are at equally spaced instants of time.

I just assumed that the 'x' (which I assumed was 700m) was where the galloping started? Or is the first dot where the galloping starts? I'm so confused...

5. Jan 31, 2012 #4
    Shoot... just figured it out. That first dot IS the starting place (on 600m), not 'x'. So, it was -10, not -20. Got it now.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook