Velocity Ball In Air: 4s, 81.6m

In summary, the ball is thrown with an initial upwards velocity of 40.0 m/s. Using the given values of vi= 40.0 m/s, vf=0 m/s, and a= -9.8 m/s2, the ball will be in the air for 4 seconds and will travel a distance of 81.6 meters. However, when considering the final velocity when the ball hits the ground, we must take into account the fact that the ball will still have some velocity as it reaches the ground. Assuming the final height of the ball is zero, using the formula vf2= vi2+2*a*d, we can calculate the final velocity to be 8.2 m/s, which is
C42711
A ball is thrown with an initial upwards velocity of 40.0 m/s.
a)How long is it in the air?
b)How fast is it going when it hits the ground?

I decided my given was:
vi= 40.0 m/s
vf=0 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s2

I solved for time and distance using the big four and for
a)4s
b)81.6m

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
C42711 said:

I decided my given was:
vi= 40.0 m/s
vf=0 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s2

a)4s
b)81.6m

Is this correct?

Not really. You have calculated how long it takes to stop traveling up, and how high it gets.
The questions were how long is it in the air; it has to come down again, and how fast it is traveling when it gets back down.

Okay, how is this?
a) 8 s

And then for b, I'm not sure what I'm looking for to be how fast. I would have thought velocity, but they gave me velocity, so that's not it. And it can't be acceleration because that's gravity. So I am confused on what I'm looking for.

C42711 said:
Okay, how is this?
a) 8 s

And then for b, I'm not sure what I'm looking for to be how fast. I would have thought velocity, but they gave me velocity, so that's not it. And it can't be acceleration because that's gravity. So I am confused on what I'm looking for.

OK, you said they gave you the velocity. what was it then? remember you want the velocity just before it hits the ground, not the velocity at which it was thown.

C42711 said:

I decided my given was:
vi= 40.0 m/s
vf=0 m/s
a= -9.8 m/s2

a)4s
b)81.6m

Is this correct?

Just realized you may have said vf=0 m/s since when the ball hits the ground it will stop.
The question is really asking you at what speed the ball is traveling as it reaches the ground.

So I am looking for final velocity and it's not zero?
If so, I got it to be .61 m/s, but that seems awfully low, so I don't know. I used this equation:
vf= vi2+2*a*d

C42711 said:
So I am looking for final velocity and it's not zero?
If so, I got it to be .61 m/s, but that seems awfully low, so I don't know. I used this equation:
vf= vi2+2*a*d

I trust you actually used

vf2= vi2+2*a*d

What value for d did you use?

I hope it was zero. [notice what happens to that formula when d = 0]

Hint:

put something in your hand, a coin, a pen, a ball.

Now toss it up as if you were juggling a single object - ie repeatedly.

While you are doing that, watch how fast the object leaves your hand, then how fast it arrives back at your hand.

Related to Velocity Ball In Air: 4s, 81.6m

1. What is the velocity of the ball?

The velocity of the ball is not provided in the given information. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, so it cannot be determined with just a time and displacement value.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of the ball?

To calculate velocity, you need to know the displacement (change in position) over a specific time interval. In this case, the displacement is 81.6 meters and the time interval is 4 seconds. So, the velocity can be calculated as 81.6 m / 4 s = 20.4 m/s. However, as mentioned in the previous answer, this only gives the speed and not the direction of the ball's motion.

3. Is the velocity constant?

Without additional information, we cannot determine if the velocity is constant. If the ball is thrown straight up and experiences no air resistance, it will have a constant velocity of 20.4 m/s at 4 seconds. However, if there are external forces acting on the ball (such as air resistance), the velocity may not be constant.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of the ball?

The velocity of the ball can be affected by factors such as air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on the ball. The angle at which the ball is thrown, its mass, and the air temperature can also affect its velocity.

5. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different definitions in physics. Speed is the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is the rate at which an object changes its position. Velocity includes both the speed and direction of motion, while speed is just a measure of how fast the object is moving. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.