1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity homework

1. Mar 10, 2006 #1
    I am just getting into physics and I have met a problem, I have almost all of the information I need to make a problem for other students in my class but the problem is I do not have the time factor in v=d/t is there any other way that I am able to calculate for Velocity?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2
    dx/dt

Velocity is the time derivative of the inital position function x(t). You need time. Perhaps your time value is meant to be a variable. It would help if you descrbed your problem a little more

EDIT:
    If you are given the directional velocities(D.V.) i.e velocities in the x, y, and z directions, you can find the overall velocity by adding the squares of the D.V. and taking the squareroot

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  4. Mar 11, 2006 #3
    Do you have accelleration?

5. Mar 11, 2006 #4
    I don't think I was fully clear, I am trying to make a problem for fellow students in my class (I'm in 7th Grade). For my problem I don't have an acceleration because I am trying to make up the whole thing from (almost) scratch. What I have is the Drag Coefficient, Distance, Mass, Density, Volume, and Area. What I am trying to do is calculate the time it would take to fall an x amount of distance then make it into a problem using everything. And in the end it will ask them to calculate for Drag and Terminal Velocity. The problem really won't be very complicated, but the only thing I still need is velocity, so I can solve for q in Drag=mg-qv^2.

I guess what I should be asking is if there is a different way to find time besides t=d/v because if I had the velocity wouldn't I know the time in the first place? Or maybe is there a different way to find Drag and q without knowing Velocity?

EDIT: Problem will be somewhat like a problem with alot of unknowns but they can be found easily..

A 20x10x5 brick with a volume of a, a density of b, and a mass of 2.27kg is falling from a height of c, the time it takes for it to fall that distance is (?) when the velocity=(?), the Drag Coefficient of this brick is 2.1. With that information solve for each of the unknowns and then solve for Drag and Terminal Velocity whereas Drag=mg-qv^2 and where q=1/2ρCdA. Vt(Terminal Velocity)=squareroot(2mg/CdρA).

The (?)'s are the things I don't know yet.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  6. Mar 11, 2006 #5
    Is it falling from rest? If so, they can use

x=v-initial *t +1/2*a*t^2

And if it's falling, you do have an acceleration, g.

7. Mar 11, 2006 #6
    You mean the acceleration due to gravity, 938m/s^2?

And its just being dropped, to find the velocity will I have to a website that has done this with a falling brick and calculated its velocity by experiments, or is there a different way I could be able to find what t is equal to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?