Velocity of flow exam question

In summary: If not, sorry, but this is not the answer I was looking for.In summary, there is no answer that satisfies the given information.
BrnoStudent
Water flows through a rigid tube, the radius of which is 1 cm. What will be the velocity
of flow in a part of the tube with a radius of 3 cm?

Please show your working and any equations that you use, no matter how basic you think it is. If there is no working to show then just explain how you arrived at your answer. I know the answer is e, I just don't know why.
I have an exam on tuesday and this is a practice question. Thank you.
a) 3 m.s-1
b) one third of the original value
c) one sixth of the original value
d) three-times bigger than the original value
e) six-times bigger than the original value

Physics news on Phys.org
BrnoStudent said:
Water flows through a rigid tube, the radius of which is 1 cm. What will be the velocity
of flow in a part of the tube with a radius of 3 cm?

Please show your working and any equations that you use, no matter how basic you think it is. If there is no working to show then just explain how you arrived at your answer. I know the answer is e, I just don't know why.
I have an exam on tuesday and this is a practice question. Thank you.
a) 3 m.s-1
b) one third of the original value
c) one sixth of the original value
d) three-times bigger than the original value
e) six-times bigger than the original value

Something's fishy with the problem as posted; For the given information I don't see a valid answer amongst the choices. Check and confirm the problem statement.

Also, you need to show some attempt at the problem before we can know how to help; don't ignore the posting template, it's there for a reason.

What equations do you know that involve fluid flow, particularly ones involving flow rates and velocities? List them.

gneill said:
Something's fishy with the problem as posted; For the given information I don't see a valid answer amongst the choices. Check and confirm the problem statement.

Also, you need to show some attempt at the problem before we can know how to help; don't ignore the posting template, it's there for a reason.

What equations do you know that involve fluid flow, particularly ones involving flow rates and velocities? List them.

As much as I would like to have a tête à tête about the above question, I don't have the time. I also have an anatomy exam, medical cemistry and biology exam this week as well. The way the question was on the paper is the way I typed it. If it is an impossible question, then thanks for all your help.

1. What is the velocity of flow?

The velocity of flow is a measure of the speed at which a fluid (liquid or gas) moves through a given area. It is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or feet per minute.

2. How is the velocity of flow calculated?

The velocity of flow can be calculated by dividing the flow rate (volume of fluid passing through a specific point per unit time) by the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel through which the fluid is flowing. This can be represented by the equation v = Q/A, where v is velocity, Q is flow rate, and A is cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the velocity of flow?

The velocity of flow can be affected by several factors, including the viscosity (thickness) of the fluid, the size and shape of the pipe or channel, and any obstacles or changes in the flow path. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and density of the fluid can also influence velocity.

4. Why is it important to measure the velocity of flow?

Measuring the velocity of flow is important in many industries, as it can help engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of fluids in a system. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing processes such as fluid transportation, power generation, and wastewater treatment.

5. How is the velocity of flow used in real-world applications?

The velocity of flow is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including hydraulics, aerodynamics, and environmental engineering. For example, in hydraulics, it is used to determine the flow rate and pressure in pipes and channels, while in aerodynamics, it is used to design efficient airfoils for aircraft. In environmental engineering, the velocity of flow is used to monitor and control water and air pollution levels.