1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of flow exam question

1. Dec 16, 2012 #1
    Water flows through a rigid tube, the radius of which is 1 cm. What will be the velocity
    of flow in a part of the tube with a radius of 3 cm?

Please show your working and any equations that you use, no matter how basic you think it is. If there is no working to show then just explain how you arrived at your answer. I know the answer is e, I just don't know why.
    I have an exam on tuesday and this is a practice question. Thank you.
    a) 3 m.s-1
    b) one third of the original value
    c) one sixth of the original value
    d) three-times bigger than the original value
    e) six-times bigger than the original value

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Something's fishy with the problem as posted; For the given information I don't see a valid answer amongst the choices. Check and confirm the problem statement.

Also, you need to show some attempt at the problem before we can know how to help; don't ignore the posting template, it's there for a reason.

What equations do you know that involve fluid flow, particularly ones involving flow rates and velocities? List them.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3
    As much as I would like to have a tête à tête about the above question, I don't have the time. I also have an anatomy exam, medical cemistry and biology exam this week as well. The way the question was on the paper is the way I typed it. If it is an impossible question, then thanks for all your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook