Velocity of masses on an atwood machine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Vitani11
Messages
275
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


2 masses m1 and m2 are attached by a string to a massless pulley. mass 1 is on the surface while mass 2 is hanging off. mass 1 experiences a friction force (mu)k. What is the acceleration of the system? What is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of mass 2?

Homework Equations


KEo+PEo = KEf+PEf

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't sound like an Atwood machine, where both masses should be hanging by the string with no surface involved.
Vitani11 said:
2 masses m1 and m2 are attached by a string to a massless pulley. mass 1 is on the surface while mass 2 is hanging off. mass 1 experiences a friction force (mu)k.
(mu)k is a force? Isn't μk, the coefficient of kinetic friction?
What is the acceleration of the system? What is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of mass 2?
Do you mean what is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of the velocity of mass 2?

Vitani11 said:
Don't these masses move at the same velocity?
Well, if the string remains taught then they'll certainly have the same speed. Technically their velocities would be different since they are moving in different directions (velocity is a vector while speed is a scalar).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vitani11
I mean a system where one mass is on a horizontal surface with friction and the other is hanging off the edge connected by a string over a pulley. For some reason I was thinking atwoods machine. But yes that is what I mean
 
Vitani11 said:
I mean a system where one mass is on a horizontal surface with friction and the other is hanging off the edge connected by a string over a pulley. For some reason I was thinking atwoods machine. But yes that is what I mean
Okay, that's clear now. So you now know that both masses will move with the same speed. Was that your question?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vitani11