Velocity of masses on an atwood machine?

In summary, the conversation discusses a system with two masses attached by a string over a massless pulley, where one mass is on a horizontal surface with friction and the other is hanging off the edge. The question is what is the acceleration of the system and what is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of mass 2. Both masses will move with the same speed due to the string remaining taught. The question is then clarified to be about the velocity of mass 1 in terms of the velocity of mass 2.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

2 masses m1 and m2 are attached by a string to a massless pulley. mass 1 is on the surface while mass 2 is hanging off. mass 1 experiences a friction force (mu)k. What is the acceleration of the system? What is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of mass 2?

Homework Equations

KEo+PEo = KEf+PEf

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't these masses move at the same velocity?

This doesn't sound like an Atwood machine, where both masses should be hanging by the string with no surface involved.
Vitani11 said:
2 masses m1 and m2 are attached by a string to a massless pulley. mass 1 is on the surface while mass 2 is hanging off. mass 1 experiences a friction force (mu)k.
(mu)k is a force? Isn't μk, the coefficient of kinetic friction?
What is the acceleration of the system? What is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of mass 2?
Do you mean what is the velocity of mass 1 in terms of the velocity of mass 2?

Vitani11 said:
Don't these masses move at the same velocity?
Well, if the string remains taught then they'll certainly have the same speed. Technically their velocities would be different since they are moving in different directions (velocity is a vector while speed is a scalar).

Likes Vitani11
I mean a system where one mass is on a horizontal surface with friction and the other is hanging off the edge connected by a string over a pulley. For some reason I was thinking atwoods machine. But yes that is what I mean

Vitani11 said:
I mean a system where one mass is on a horizontal surface with friction and the other is hanging off the edge connected by a string over a pulley. For some reason I was thinking atwoods machine. But yes that is what I mean
Okay, that's clear now. So you now know that both masses will move with the same speed. Was that your question?

Likes Vitani11
Yes, thanks

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device used for demonstrating principles of physics, such as force, gravity, and acceleration. It consists of two masses connected by a string, with one mass hanging over a pulley.

2. How is the velocity of masses on an Atwood machine calculated?

The velocity of masses on an Atwood machine can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height difference between the two masses.

3. What factors affect the velocity of masses on an Atwood machine?

The velocity of masses on an Atwood machine is affected by the difference in mass between the two masses, the length of the string, and the acceleration due to gravity. Friction and air resistance can also affect the velocity.

4. How does the velocity change when the masses on an Atwood machine are unequal?

When the masses on an Atwood machine are unequal, the velocity will be affected by the difference in mass between the two masses. The heavier mass will have a slower velocity, while the lighter mass will have a faster velocity.

5. What is the significance of studying the velocity of masses on an Atwood machine?

Studying the velocity of masses on an Atwood machine can help us understand principles of physics, such as force, acceleration, and gravity. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the motion of objects in real-world scenarios.