What are the Steps for Calculating Velocity in a Coin Drop Problem?

In summary: I don't know how to find the velocity when the coin hits the ground.In summary, the problem involves finding the average velocity and instantaneous velocity of a coin dropped from a height of 800 feet. The height of the coin at time t is given by s(t)= Vit + 1/2 a t^2 + So, where a= -32 ft/s^2 and So = 800 ft. The average velocity on the interval [1,3] is -64 ft/sec and the instantaneous velocity at t= 3s is -96 ft/sec. To find when the coin hits the ground, we need to find when s(t) = 0. Finally, the velocity when the coin hits the ground can be
fifaking7

Homework Statement

A coin is dropped from a height of 800 feet. The height, s(measured in feet), at time, t(measured in seconds is given by:

s(t)= Vit + 1/2 a t^2 + So

a) find the average velocity on the interval [1,3]
b) find the instantaneous velocity when t= 3s.
c) how long does it take the coin to hit the ground?
d) find the velocity on the interval [1,3]

Homework Equations

a= -32 ft/s^2
h=800 ft

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I understand that you have to derive the position function to get the velocity function but I'm having trouble doing it. To find the average though i can do f(3)-f(1)/3-1
b) I can't find it because I'm having trouble with the derivative
c &d) I do not understand it because I missed the class that my teacher went over it when i was sick

Physics news on Phys.org
fifaking7 said:

Homework Statement

A coin is dropped from a height of 800 feet. The height, s(measured in feet), at time, t(measured in seconds is given by:

s(t)= Vit + 1/2 a t^2 + So

a) find the average velocity on the interval [1,3]
b) find the instantaneous velocity when t= 3s.
c) how long does it take the coin to hit the ground?
d) find the velocity on the interval [1,3]

Homework Equations

a= -32 ft/s^2
h=800 ft

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I understand that you have to derive the position function to get the velocity function but I'm having trouble doing it. To find the average though i can do f(3)-f(1)/3-1
b) I can't find it because I'm having trouble with the derivative
c &d) I do not understand it because I missed the class that my teacher went over it when i was sick

For (a): the average is not f(3)-f(1)/3-1 (which means f(3) - [f(1)/3] - 1 exactly as you have written it). If you mean (f(3)-f(1))/(3-1) you should use parentheses.

Anyway, your expression for s(t) does not have an 'h' in it; maybe you really meant to say S0 = 800. You see, these errors start to add up and can reduce your marks!

For (b): you say you are having trouble with the derivative. Please show your work, so we can see exactly what is your source of trouble.

For (c): you need to know when s(t) = 0.

Question (d) does not make much sense as written, but maybe they want you to write a formula for velocity v(t) that applies on the interval 1 ≤ t ≤ 3.

RGV

Letter d, i typed up b again. so letter D actually is below
D) find the velocity when the coin hits the ground.

My work so far

I used the 800 ft from the original statement as So instead of height

S(t)=Vi(0)t + 1/2 (-32ft/s^2)t^2 +So
S(t)= 0 -16t^2 + 800
v(t) = -32t

a) V(3)-V(1)/(3-1)
V(3) = -32(3)=-96
V(1) = -32(1)= -32

-96-(-32)/2 = -64ft/sec is my final answer

b) v(3)= -32(3)
v(3)= -96 ft/Sec is my final answer
C) I just don't understand
D)I know i need C but don't understand it

FAQ: What are the Steps for Calculating Velocity in a Coin Drop Problem?

1. What is velocity rate?

Velocity rate is a measure of the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is often used in physics to describe how quickly an object is moving and in what direction.

2. How is velocity rate calculated?

Velocity rate is calculated by dividing the distance an object travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for velocity rate is velocity = distance/time.

3. What is the difference between velocity rate and speed?

Velocity rate and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different concepts. Velocity rate takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not. In other words, velocity rate is a vector quantity, while speed is a scalar quantity.

4. How is velocity rate measured?

Velocity rate is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. These units can be converted to other units, such as miles per hour or feet per second, depending on the context.

5. What factors can affect velocity rate?

Velocity rate can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied to an object, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object (such as friction or air resistance). Changes in these factors can result in changes in an object's velocity rate.