1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity vs. time

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    On a graph such as below:

http://www.gcsescience.com/Velocity-Time-Graph-Rocket.gif

Would the graph of resultant force vs. time be of a shape similar to the curve of "y=1/x" in the positive quadrant? I make this assumption, since the gradient of the v vs. t graph is decreasing, therefore the acceleration is decreasing. I also think that the rate of change of acceleration is decreasing.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    No, 1/X is curve that starts with a high y value and decreases quickly and then levels off from left to right. Look at the slope....in the v vs. t graph velocity is increasing over time because it is in the positive quadrant. Acceleration is increasing a lot at first and is leveling off at a positive number based on the slope of the graph.

4. May 19, 2008 #3
    What would be the shape of the graph then? I think it would be a curve, but dont know the shape.

Thanks

5. May 19, 2008 #4
    The graph shown is a log x graph. The graph of its slope, aka the acceleration, will start positive maybe (0, 2) then will decrease and level off until it is pratically zero at every value after a certain time. This being the derivative would be the (1/X) curve, but for the derivative not the graph shown....Well guess that does it for this problem. Hope that helps. Ross

6. May 19, 2008 #5
    nokia8650,

Your original answer is correct. The only criticism I have is that the slope doesn't appear to me to be infinite at the origin.

7. May 19, 2008 #6
    And it's not a log graph.

8. May 20, 2008 #7
    Thanks, yes, I only meant the shape of it, as it is hard to describe! Thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?