Velocity vs Time Graph: Does Resultant Force Follow y=1/x?

In summary, the conversation discusses the shape of the resultant force vs. time graph and how it relates to the curve of y=1/x in the positive quadrant. It is determined that the graph would not have the same shape as y=1/x, but rather a curve that starts with a high y value and decreases quickly before leveling off. The acceleration is also discussed, with the conclusion that it starts positive and decreases until it is practically zero. The conversation also addresses a criticism of the original answer and clarifies that the graph shown is not a log graph.
nokia8650
On a graph such as below:

http://www.gcsescience.com/Velocity-Time-Graph-Rocket.gif

Would the graph of resultant force vs. time be of a shape similar to the curve of "y=1/x" in the positive quadrant? I make this assumption, since the gradient of the v vs. t graph is decreasing, therefore the acceleration is decreasing. I also think that the rate of change of acceleration is decreasing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, 1/X is curve that starts with a high y value and decreases quickly and then levels off from left to right. Look at the slope...in the v vs. t graph velocity is increasing over time because it is in the positive quadrant. Acceleration is increasing a lot at first and is leveling off at a positive number based on the slope of the graph.

What would be the shape of the graph then? I think it would be a curve, but don't know the shape.

Thanks

The graph shown is a log x graph. The graph of its slope, aka the acceleration, will start positive maybe (0, 2) then will decrease and level off until it is pratically zero at every value after a certain time. This being the derivative would be the (1/X) curve, but for the derivative not the graph shown...Well guess that does it for this problem. Hope that helps. Ross

nokia8650,

Your original answer is correct. The only criticism I have is that the slope doesn't appear to me to be infinite at the origin.

And it's not a log graph.

Thanks, yes, I only meant the shape of it, as it is hard to describe! Thanks alot

1. What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a graphical representation of an object's velocity (or speed) over a period of time. The velocity is plotted on the y-axis and time is plotted on the x-axis.

2. How is velocity calculated on a velocity vs time graph?

Velocity is calculated by finding the slope of the line on the graph. The slope is determined by dividing the change in velocity (y-axis) by the change in time (x-axis).

3. What does the equation y=1/x represent on a velocity vs time graph?

The equation y=1/x represents the relationship between velocity and time when the resultant force acting on an object is constant. It is also known as the inverse proportionality law.

4. How does the resultant force affect the velocity on a velocity vs time graph?

The resultant force directly determines the slope of the line on the graph. The greater the resultant force, the steeper the slope and the faster the object's velocity changes over time.

5. Can the resultant force ever be negative on a velocity vs time graph?

Yes, the resultant force can be negative on a velocity vs time graph. This means that the object is experiencing a force in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down or change direction.