Venturi and a pin hole in a water pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the Venturi effect and its application in devices such as a vacuum pump. The Venturi effect is the decrease in pressure that occurs when a fluid flows through a constricted section of a pipe. This decrease in pressure can cause air to be sucked in through a side connector, allowing for the filling or draining of a container. The conversation also mentions a specific device that uses the Venturi effect to fill and drain aquariums, but notes that similar devices have been in use since the 1930s for other purposes.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts,

I was looking at Venturi effect and a question popped into my mind.

When I use a water hose and turn on the tap, the water rushes out of the hose. If there is a break along the hose, eg. a small puncture, some water would also leak through this hole am i right? At least this is what i think.

But according to venturi effect, air should be sucked in and flow out of the hose.

Or is my assumption wrong?

regards
Ramone

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the hose is constant diameter, the pressure in the hose is highest at the tap end, decreasing in pressure as water flows to the exit end due to friction with the walls of the hose, but still higher than ambient pressure outside even at the exit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation

However here is a link to a device that has the effect you want. It's a vacuum pump that operates off a water tap. There a smooth tapered cone that reduces pressure and exits into a chamber with second connector on the side. The reduced pressure, (and probably momentum of the main flow combined with viscosity) in the chamber will draw in air and/or water into the side connector, and both flows exit out the connector at the end (which can be closed in order to have water flow out the side connector to fill something). In this case the device is intended to be used for an aquarium, but devices like this date back to the 1930's to be used to fill and drain wash basins (note the us patent prior references). The link to the candian patent eventually leads you to an internal drawing of this device.

http://andysworld.org.uk/aquablog/?postid=247

Firgure 4 in the drawing shows it in drain (venturi) mode with the bottom open. Figure 5 shows it in fill mode with the bottom closed.

drawing.gif

Last edited:

Related to Venturi and a pin hole in a water pipe

What is a Venturi and a pin hole in a water pipe?

A Venturi is a pipe with a narrow middle section that is used to measure the flow rate of a fluid. A pin hole in a water pipe is a small opening that allows water to escape from the pipe.

How does a Venturi work?

A Venturi works by utilizing Bernoulli's principle, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. In a Venturi, the narrow middle section causes the velocity of the fluid to increase, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This change in pressure can be measured to determine the flow rate of the fluid.

What is the purpose of a pin hole in a water pipe?

A pin hole in a water pipe can serve several purposes. It can act as a relief valve, allowing excess pressure to escape and preventing the pipe from bursting. It can also serve as a drain, allowing water to be removed from the pipe for maintenance or repair purposes.

Can a Venturi be used to measure the flow rate of any fluid?

Yes, a Venturi can be used to measure the flow rate of any fluid, as long as the fluid is incompressible (meaning its density remains constant) and the flow is steady (meaning it does not change over time).

How can a pin hole in a water pipe be fixed?

The best way to fix a pin hole in a water pipe is to turn off the water supply and drain the pipe. Then, the hole can be patched with a waterproof material such as epoxy or a rubber patch. In some cases, the damaged section of the pipe may need to be replaced.