Venturi Meter with Bernoulli's

In summary, the problem involves water flowing through a venturi meter with specific dimensions and using a manometer to measure the pressure difference. The equations used include Bernoulli's principle, mass continuity, and the equation P=rho.g.h. The student is seeking clarification on the correctness of their method for finding the pressure difference before their upcoming exam.
Gorz

Homework Statement

Water flows through a venturi meter, with an inlet diameter of 25cm and a throat diameter of 15cm. The pressure difference is measured using a manometer, which displaces the mercury by 12mm on the throat side.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's
Mass continuity
P=rho.g.h

The Attempt at a Solution

2145rtx.jpg

28l6r1t.jpg

Is this correct? I have no answers available as its from a past paper. My exam is tommorow and I would just like to clarify that the method I have used to find the pressure difference is correct.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one able to help with this?

My exam is tommorow morning and I wouldn't mind some closure on my quiery.

I would first like to commend you for seeking clarification on your solution before your exam. It shows a strong understanding of the importance of accuracy and precision in scientific work.

To answer your question, your approach seems to be correct. You have used Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout its flow, as long as there is no energy added or removed from the system. In this case, the fluid is water and the energy is in the form of pressure.

To find the pressure difference, you have correctly used the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column in the manometer. This equation is derived from the hydrostatic equation, which states that the pressure at any point in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid column above it.

In your case, you have correctly identified that the pressure difference between the inlet and throat of the venturi meter can be found by measuring the height of the fluid column displaced by the manometer. This height is directly proportional to the pressure difference, and by using the given values for the inlet and throat diameters, you can calculate the pressure difference using the equation P = ρgh.

In conclusion, your method for finding the pressure difference using Bernoulli's equation and the hydrostatic equation is correct. I wish you the best of luck on your exam tomorrow!

1. What is a Venturi meter and how does it work?

A Venturi meter is a device used to measure the flow rate of a fluid in a pipe. It works by using the principle of Bernoulli's equation, which states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. The Venturi meter has a constricted section in the middle, causing the fluid to speed up and create a pressure difference that can be measured.

2. What are the main components of a Venturi meter?

The main components of a Venturi meter include a converging section, a throat, and a diverging section. The converging section gradually decreases in diameter, causing the fluid to speed up. The throat is the narrowest point in the meter where the pressure difference is measured. The diverging section then gradually increases in diameter, allowing the fluid to slow down and return to its original pressure.

3. What are the advantages of using a Venturi meter?

One advantage of using a Venturi meter is its accuracy in measuring flow rate. It is also a cost-effective option compared to other flow measurement devices. Additionally, Venturi meters have a low pressure drop, meaning they do not significantly affect the fluid flow in the pipe, making them suitable for use in systems with low pressure.

4. What are some common applications of Venturi meters?

Venturi meters are commonly used in industries such as water treatment, oil and gas, and chemical processing. They are also used in HVAC systems and in aircraft for measuring airspeed. Venturi meters can also be used in laboratory settings for measuring the flow rate of gases and liquids.

5. How do you calibrate a Venturi meter?

To calibrate a Venturi meter, a known volume of fluid is passed through the meter, and the corresponding pressure difference is measured. This data is then used to create a calibration curve, which can be used to convert pressure readings into flow rates. Regular calibration is important to ensure accurate measurements from the Venturi meter.