Verify the relation F = m(v^2/r)

• Thread starter VitaX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation is about verifying the relation between force (F), mass (m), velocity (v), and radius (r) using knowledge of forces and Newton's 2nd law. The attempt at a solution involves using vector calculus to derive the centripetal acceleration in terms of velocity and radius. Additional resources are suggested for further understanding.
VitaX

Homework Statement

Use your knowledge of forces to verify the relation F = m(v^2/r)

Homework Equations

None, I think

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure how to go about verifying this. The only relationship I know of is that a = v^2/r

Physics news on Phys.org
You also know Newton's 2nd law, don't you?:smile:

PhanthomJay said:
You also know Newton's 2nd law, don't you?:smile:

F = ma ; but isn't this wanting me to explain how v^2/r = a ?

I don't know. If it is, you have to use vector calculus that derives the centripetal acceleration in terms of a velocity that is changing direction as a particle moves along a curved path of radius r. I suppose you can google it. It was 40 years ago when I last looked at the derivation:bugeye:...not too complicated as I recall.

PhanthomJay said:
I don't know. If it is, you have to use vector calculus that derives the centripetal acceleration in terms of a velocity that is changing direction as a particle moves along a curved path of radius r. I suppose you can google it. It was 40 years ago when I last looked at the derivation:bugeye:...not too complicated as I recall.

http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Guidance_156.html;jsessionid=alZLdQlAHb1?topic_id=3&collection_id=117 is it this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks..method B was the way I remembered it (and taught it for one year)...time goes by...

I found a better source :

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the formula for "Verify the relation F = m(v^2/r)"?

The formula for verifying the relation F = m(v^2/r) is to divide the force (F) by the product of the mass (m), the square of the velocity (v^2), and the radius (r).

What is the meaning of each variable in the formula "F = m(v^2/r)"?

In this formula, F represents force, m represents mass, v represents velocity, and r represents radius.

Why is it important to verify the relation F = m(v^2/r)?

Verifying this relation is important because it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, velocity, and radius in a given system. It allows us to calculate the force exerted on an object based on its mass, velocity, and the radius of its circular path.

Can the formula "F = m(v^2/r)" be used for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically for objects moving in a circular path with a constant speed. It does not apply to objects moving in a straight line or with changing speeds.

How is the formula "F = m(v^2/r)" derived?

This formula is derived from the principles of Newton's second law of motion and centripetal force. By equating the equations for these two forces, we can arrive at the formula F = m(v^2/r).