Verifying the mean value theorum for absolute value function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average value of the function f(x)=|x-1| over the interval [0,2] and verifying the mean value theorem for integrals. The mean value theorem for integrals states that the integral of a function over an interval is equal to the function evaluated at some point within that interval, multiplied by the length of the interval. The mean value theorem for differentials states that the derivative of a function at a point is equal to the slope of the line connecting the endpoints of the interval. The conversation also includes a link to a solution attempt, where the poster is unsure about how to verify the mean value theorem for integrals using the mean value theorem for differentials.
silicon_hobo

Homework Statement

a) Find the average value of the function [tex]f(x)=|x-1|[/tex] over [0,2].
b)Verify the mean value theorum for integrals for the function and interval in part (a).

Homework Equations

mean value theorum for integrals: [tex]\int_a^{b} f(x)dx=f(c)(b-a)[/tex]

mean value theorum for differentials: [tex]f\prime(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.mcp-server.com/~lush/shillmud/int1.10.JPG
I believe part (b) is asking me to use the differential theorum to prove what has been found in part (a) but I'm rarely sure what to do when asked to 'verify' or 'prove'. Am I on the right track in my attempt to use the differential mvt to verify what I have found with the integral mvt in the first part? I know something's not right because the derivative of |x-1| is going to be either 1 or -1 at all times yet I've got an answer of 0 in part (b). Some clarification on how these theories work with regards to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. I'm still stumped on this one.

Please help if anyone knows this answer.

mellymel21 said:
Please help if anyone knows this answer.
You have reopened a thread that is more than two years old. Per the rules of this forum, you need to show an effort at solving the problem you post. What have you tried?

1. What is the mean value theorem for the absolute value function?

The mean value theorem for the absolute value function states that if a function is continuous on an interval [a,b], then there exists at least one point c in the interval such that the slope of the secant line between a and b is equal to the slope of the tangent line at point c.

2. How is the mean value theorem for the absolute value function verified?

The mean value theorem for the absolute value function can be verified by first finding the average rate of change of the function over the given interval. Then, the derivative of the function is taken and evaluated at a point c in the interval. If the average rate of change and the derivative at point c are equal, then the mean value theorem is verified.

3. Why is it important to verify the mean value theorem for the absolute value function?

Verifying the mean value theorem for the absolute value function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function on a given interval. It also helps us to find critical points and extrema of the function, which are important in optimization and other applications.

4. Can the mean value theorem be applied to all absolute value functions?

Yes, the mean value theorem can be applied to all absolute value functions as long as the function is continuous on the given interval. However, the function must also satisfy the conditions of the mean value theorem, including differentiability and the existence of a tangent line at a point in the interval.

5. Are there any limitations to the mean value theorem for the absolute value function?

One limitation of the mean value theorem for the absolute value function is that it only guarantees the existence of one point c in the given interval where the slope of the secant line equals the slope of the tangent line. It does not guarantee that there are no other points in the interval with the same property. Additionally, the mean value theorem does not provide information about the actual value of c, only that it exists.