Vertical lines on postion vs. time graphs.

In summary, position vs. time diagrams are helpful in understanding velocity. A flat line indicates zero velocity (the particle is still) and a vertical line would mean undefined velocity. This is not possible in special relativity, which states that velocity cannot exceed the speed of light. The concept of position vs. time diagrams did not exist until 100 years later. Additionally, if an object is slowing down in the negative x direction, the acceleration would be positive, while in the positive direction, it would be negative. However, if deltaV/deltaT = a, then the opposite would be true.
aclark609
I understand how position vs. time diagrams can give velocity. If the line is flat then the velocity is zero (the particle is still), and all the other basic things I need to know, but what if the line was vertical? The slope would be undefined; therefore, velocity would be undefined. In other words, could a particle jump from one position to another in no time? Perhaps the speed changes too sharply for the units on the graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
That can't be possible in special relativity which says the speed cannot exceed speed of light c, irrelevant to the unit of graph

no graph as such exist (until you see it 100 years later in some inter nuclear motion of those subatomic particles:TO BE DISCOVERED)

Thanks guys. One more thing I'm kind of confused about. If an object is slowing down in the negative x direction, then I would assume the acceleration would be positive, correct? I assume this because an object slowing down in the positive direction would have a negative acceleration.

Then again, If deltaV/deltaT = a, then the answer would be just the opposite.

Likes 1 person

1. What do vertical lines on a position vs. time graph represent?

Vertical lines on a position vs. time graph represent a constant position. This means that the object is not moving and is staying at the same position over time.

2. Why do vertical lines on a position vs. time graph indicate a constant position?

This is because the slope of a position vs. time graph represents velocity, which is the rate of change of position. A vertical line has a slope of 0, indicating that there is no change in position over time.

3. Can vertical lines on a position vs. time graph ever represent motion?

No, vertical lines on a position vs. time graph always represent a constant position. Motion is represented by non-vertical lines on the graph.

4. How can I determine the position of an object at a specific time using a position vs. time graph?

To determine the position of an object at a specific time, find the vertical line on the graph that corresponds to the desired time. The position value at the intersection of this line with the position axis represents the object's position at that time.

5. What does it mean if there are multiple vertical lines on a position vs. time graph?

If there are multiple vertical lines on a position vs. time graph, it means that the object remained at different positions for different periods of time. This could indicate that the object was stationary, or it could also indicate that the object was moving at a constant velocity and then stopped at different positions for certain periods of time.