Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical lines on postion vs. time graphs.

1. Aug 30, 2013 #1
    I understand how position vs. time diagrams can give velocity. If the line is flat then the velocity is zero (the particle is still), and all the other basic things I need to know, but what if the line was vertical? The slope would be undefined; therefore, velocity would be undefined. In other words, could a particle jump from one position to another in no time? Perhaps the speed changes too sharply for the units on the graph?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2013 #2
    That can't be possible in special relativity which says the speed cannot exceed speed of light c, irrelevant to the unit of graph

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    no graph as such exist (until you see it 100 years later in some inter nuclear motion of those subatomic particles:TO BE DISCOVERED)

5. Aug 31, 2013 #4
    Thanks guys. One more thing I'm kind of confused about. If an object is slowing down in the negative x direction, then I would assume the acceleration would be positive, correct? I assume this because an object slowing down in the positive direction would have a negative acceleration.

6. Aug 31, 2013 #5
    Then again, If deltaV/deltaT = a, then the answer would be just the opposite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook