Correct Calculation of Vertical Stress in Soil

In summary, the question at hand involves determining the total vertical stress at the center of a clay layer. The problem statement assumes that the sand above ground level is saturated, which may introduce an error in the calculation. To quantify this error, one can assume a sand porosity of 30% and compare the results with and without the approximation. This will help determine the magnitude of the error in both the vertical stress and the effective stress at the center of the clay layer.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

In this question , i suspect the total vertical stress at the center of the clay is incorrect .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the figure , we can see that the water table is art 2m below the sand . So , the 2m sand thick should be dry , am i right ? Only the 1m thick sand is moist / saturated with water .

so , when we are calculating the vertical stress , we have to divide the soil into 2 parts , which are (dry unit weight of soil x 2m ) + ( saturated unit weight of soil x 1m) + ( saturated unit weight of clay x 2m)

Attachments

• 714.PNG
    714.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 715.PNG
    715.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 444
  • 716.PNG
    716.PNG
    10.8 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

In this question , i suspect the total vertical stress at the center of the clay is incorrect .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the figure , we can see that the water table is art 2m below the sand . So , the 2m sand thick should be dry , am i right ? Only the 1m thick sand is moist / saturated with water .

so , when we are calculating the vertical stress , we have to divide the soil into 2 parts , which are (dry unit weight of soil x 2m ) + ( saturated unit weight of soil x 1m) + ( saturated unit weight of clay x 2m)
Well, the problem statement says that, in determining the vertical stress, "the sand above ground level may be assumed to be saturated." So, you are correct in your objection. But the question is, how much of an error does this approximation introduce? Why don't you assume a sand porosity of 30% and quantify the magnitude of the error introduced by this approximation in the vertical stress and in the effective stress at the center of the clay layer?

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
Well, the problem statement says that, in determining the vertical stress, "the sand above ground level may be assumed to be saturated." So, you are correct in your objection. But the question is, how much of an error does this approximation introduce? Why don't you assume a sand porosity of 30% and quantify the magnitude of the error introduced by this approximation in the vertical stress and in the effective stress at the center of the clay layer?
Do you mean this is a special case where the soil is assumed to be saturated above the groundwater table ??

tzx9633 said:
Do you mean this is a special case where the soil is assumed to be saturated above the groundwater table ??
Did I say that? No I didn't.

Likes tzx9633
Chestermiller said:
Did I say that? No I didn't.
then , why the soil is assumed to be saturated ?

tzx9633 said:
then , why the soil is assumed to be saturated ?
As you already pointed out, this is only an approximation. I would like for you to solve it with and without the approximation so you can compare the results. Do you think you can do that?

Likes tzx9633

1. What is vertical stress in soil?

Vertical stress in soil refers to the amount of force per unit area that is exerted by the weight of the soil and any additional external loads on a specific point in the vertical direction. It is an important factor in determining the stability and strength of soil structures.

2. How is vertical stress calculated?

Vertical stress is calculated by multiplying the unit weight of the soil by the depth of the soil layer. This calculation takes into account the weight of the soil itself as well as any added loads, such as buildings or structures, on top of the soil.

3. What is the unit of measurement for vertical stress?

The unit of measurement for vertical stress is typically expressed in kilopascals (kPa) or pounds per square inch (psi). These units represent the amount of force per unit area that is exerted on the soil.

4. How does soil type affect vertical stress?

The type of soil can greatly affect the calculation of vertical stress. Different soil types have varying unit weights, which can impact the amount of force exerted on a specific point in the soil. For example, clay soils have a higher unit weight than sandy soils, resulting in higher vertical stress values.

5. What are some factors that can influence vertical stress in soil?

Aside from soil type, other factors that can influence vertical stress in soil include the depth of the soil layer, the presence of groundwater, and the magnitude and distribution of external loads. In addition, changes in temperature or moisture content can also impact vertical stress values in soil.