1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical velocity

1. Mar 16, 2006 #1
    In its final trip upstream to its spawning territory, a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall 1.9m high. What is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

There seems to be some piece of information missing.
    I know that:
    a = 9.8 m/s^2
    dy = 1.9m

I'm thinking i'll probably be using the formula (Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad) so that would mean I need to have the Vf or the Vi. Would either of these be equal to zero?!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You do know the final velocity. How fast will the salmon be travelling vertically if it only just reaches the top of the waterfall?

4. Mar 16, 2006 #3
    I guess it would have to be 0 if it only just reaches it. Sorry, i'm not very good with word problems.

5. Mar 16, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right.

No need to apologise, I like formulae better myself, it's much harder to missinterpret a formula! :smile:

6. Mar 16, 2006 #5
    Thanks for your help :).

7. Mar 16, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?