Calculate Minimum Vertical Velocity for Salmon Jumping 1.9m Waterfall

In summary, the salmon needs a minimum vertical velocity of 4.3 m/s to reach the top of the 1.9m high waterfall. This can be calculated using the formula Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad, where a = 9.8 m/s^2 and dy = 1.9m. The final velocity (Vf) would equal 0, as the salmon will only just reach the top of the waterfall.
inner08
In its final trip upstream to its spawning territory, a salmon jumps to the top of a waterfall 1.9m high. What is the minimum vertical velocity needed by the salmon to reach the top of the waterfall?

There seems to be some piece of information missing.
I know that:
a = 9.8 m/s^2
dy = 1.9m

I'm thinking i'll probably be using the formula (Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad) so that would mean I need to have the Vf or the Vi. Would either of these be equal to zero?!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You do know the final velocity. How fast will the salmon be traveling vertically if it only just reaches the top of the waterfall?

I guess it would have to be 0 if it only just reaches it. Sorry, I'm not very good with word problems.

inner08 said:
I guess it would have to be 0 if it only just reaches it. Sorry, I'm not very good with word problems.

You're right.

No need to apologise, I like formulae better myself, it's much harder to missinterpret a formula! :smile:

Thanks for your help :).

No problem :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum vertical velocity for a salmon to jump a 1.9m waterfall?

The formula for calculating the minimum vertical velocity for a salmon to jump a 1.9m waterfall is v = √(2gh), where v is the minimum vertical velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the waterfall (1.9m).

2. How do you determine the acceleration due to gravity in this calculation?

The acceleration due to gravity (g) is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 and is used in this calculation because it represents the rate at which an object falls due to gravity. This value is based on the Earth's gravitational pull and does not change significantly at different locations on Earth.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of fish jumping a 1.9m waterfall?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of fish jumping a 1.9m waterfall as long as the fish has a similar body shape and jumping ability as a salmon. However, it may not be accurate for fish with significantly different physical characteristics.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect a salmon's ability to jump a 1.9m waterfall?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a salmon's ability to jump a 1.9m waterfall, such as the water currents, the angle of the waterfall, and the physical condition of the salmon. These factors can impact the minimum vertical velocity required for a successful jump.

5. How can this calculation be used in real-world applications?

This calculation can be used in real-world applications to study and understand the physical abilities of different fish species. It can also be used to design and improve fish ladders and other structures to help fish migrate past waterfalls and other barriers in their natural habitats.