Very basic Voltage/Period/Freq of circuits

• Thread starter thedoge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the conversation discusses basic electronic circuit schematics and the confusion over calculating values such as Vpeak, Vpeak-to-peak, period, and frequency. The supplied material does not provide enough information and there is a need to understand what a "major division" is in the circuit. The homework equations and attempted solution are provided but it is still unclear. Delphi's response prompts the person to dig through literature and they realize the confusion was due to a poorly designed document with multiple 3a's. The issue is now resolved.
thedoge

Homework Statement

Hello. I am looking over some basic electronic circuit schematics and there are some questions I am troubled with. These are very basic questions, but the supplied material does not at all tell me how to calculate the values it wants when there are "major divisions" nor does it describe what a "major division" is in a circuit.

Assuming 5 Volts/division and base signal is 1 ms/division I need:
Vpeak
Vpeak-to-peak
Period
and frequency.

See Image:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4938/circuitx.jpg

Homework Equations

f = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

There is not enough information with the supplied material for me to understand what exactly I should be doing.
If I could be explained what a "division" is I'd be ok. Without understanding divisions I'd say:
Vpeak=5V
Vpp =10V
T = 1/1000s
F = 1000hZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm puzzled, too! The circuit is simple but seems unrelated to your questions. Have you posted an actual question from a book or teacher? Did you perhaps have a lab using an oscilloscope that was set up so a "major division" on the horizontal axis represented 1 millisecond and a division on the vertical axis represented 5 Volts? If you can give us more information perhaps someone will be able to sort it out!

Thank you Delphi!

That was enough for me to realize I needed to dig through the literature to find the oscilloscope display. This is a very poorly designed document. There were two 3a's on the sheet and once I saw the first 3a(one above), I stopped looking for another.

Have it now :)

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit, measured in volts (V). It is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit.

2. What is the period of a circuit and how is it calculated?

The period of a circuit is the time it takes for one complete cycle of a periodic signal to occur. It is calculated by dividing 1 by the frequency of the signal (in hertz).

3. How is frequency related to voltage and period?

Frequency is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to period. This means that as voltage increases, frequency increases and as period decreases, frequency increases.

4. What are some common sources of voltage in circuits?

Some common sources of voltage in circuits include batteries, power supplies, and generators. These sources provide the necessary energy to power the circuit and allow for the flow of current.

5. How does the frequency of a circuit affect its performance?

The frequency of a circuit can affect its performance in various ways. For example, high frequency signals may be disrupted by interference or resistance in the circuit, while low frequency signals may be more stable but may not be able to transmit as much information. It is important to choose the appropriate frequency for the desired application.