1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic Voltage/Period/Freq of circuits

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello. I am looking over some basic electronic circuit schematics and there are some questions I am troubled with. These are very basic questions, but the supplied material does not at all tell me how to calculate the values it wants when there are "major divisions" nor does it describe what a "major division" is in a circuit.

Assuming 5 Volts/division and base signal is 1 ms/division I need:
    Vpeak
    Vpeak-to-peak
    Period
    and frequency.

See Image:
    http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4938/circuitx.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    f = 1/T

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is not enough information with the supplied material for me to understand what exactly I should be doing.
    If I could be explained what a "division" is I'd be ok. Without understanding divisions I'd say:
    Vpeak=5V
    Vpp =10V
    T = 1/1000s
    F = 1000hZ

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I'm puzzled, too! The circuit is simple but seems unrelated to your questions. Have you posted an actual question from a book or teacher? Did you perhaps have a lab using an oscilloscope that was set up so a "major division" on the horizontal axis represented 1 millisecond and a division on the vertical axis represented 5 Volts? If you can give us more information perhaps someone will be able to sort it out!

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Thank you Delphi!

That was enough for me to realize I needed to dig through the literature to find the oscilloscope display. This is a very poorly designed document. There were two 3a's on the sheet and once I saw the first 3a(one above), I stopped looking for another.

Have it now :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook