Exploring the AC Generator in an LRC Circuit

In summary, a 1000 Hz AC generator in an LRC circuit produces a voltage V(t) = 1.414sin(1000t). The values of inductance, capacitance, and resistance are given in the diagram. The rms voltage supplied by the generator is approximately 1 V. The maximum current in the circuit can be found by dividing the peak voltage by the total impedance, which is dependent on the frequency of the AC generator. The phase difference between the AC generator and the current flowing in the circuit can be calculated using the values of inductive and capacitive reactance and the resistance.
popo902

Homework Statement

An AC generator in an LRC circuit produces a voltage V(t) = 1.414sin(wt) = 1.414sin(1000t)
The values of inductance, capacitance, and resistance are shown in the diagram. Recall the w = 2pi*f.

i made a picture of the diagram:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/jo860/lrc.jpga) What is the rms voltage supplied by the generator?

b) What is the maximum current in the circuit?

c)What is the phase difference between the AC generator and the current flowing in the current?

(I made w = omega)

Homework Equations

Vrms = Vpeak/ sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

im doing practice final and i don't have the answers
i just want to run them by some people just in case i got the thinking wrong
so for,

a) Since V(t) = Vpeak *sin(wt), Vpeak = 1.414, so then Vrms = 1.414/sqrt(2) =~ 1V, right?

b) This is one I'm mostly confused on. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I'm leaning toward the power equation except there is no power value here. This is assuming ipeak is what it's asking for...so...:(c) I remember that RLC circuits are usually conductive, so the phase would be around 90, with the current leading, right?

and that's what i have so far

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for (a) your answer is right.
for (b) you need to find Ipeak which can be found from voltage divided by total impedance of the circuit.
for (c) you know Z(=R+j(Xl-Xc) ) from this you find the phase difference.

ok
for part

b) Ipeak = Vpeak/ Z
but don't i need the value of frequency to calculate this?
because since the reactance of L anc C need the value, i need it here...
or can i assume that it's at resonance? Then Z= R :S

C) I read some more and i remembered that i could find the angle using tan = Xl - Xc/ R
but again, I need the frequency

is there something I'm missing here?

b) Yes you need frequency information. The supply frequency can be known from V(t)=1.414sin(1000t). Find frequency and then Z.
c) You are right.

oh i see now,
i solve for omega using that given equation
thank you so much!

Related to Exploring the AC Generator in an LRC Circuit

What is an AC generator?

An AC generator, also known as an alternator, is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by using electromagnetic induction. It is commonly used to generate alternating currents (AC) in power plants, vehicles, and other electronic devices.

How does an AC generator work?

An AC generator works by rotating a magnet inside a coil of wire, which induces a current in the wire. The direction of the induced current changes as the magnet rotates, resulting in an alternating current.

What is an LRC circuit?

An LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). It is used to study the behavior of alternating currents and can be found in many electronic devices.

How does an AC generator function in an LRC circuit?

In an LRC circuit, the AC generator supplies an alternating current that passes through the inductor, resistor, and capacitor. The inductor and capacitor store and release energy, while the resistor dissipates the energy as heat. This results in a complex waveform that can be analyzed to understand the behavior of AC circuits.

What are some applications of exploring the AC generator in an LRC circuit?

Exploring the AC generator in an LRC circuit can help us understand the behavior of AC circuits and how they are used in various electronic devices. It is also used in research and development of new technologies and can be applied in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and transportation.