Can the Integral of 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) be Applied to Complex Numbers?

• Thread starter bcyang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving the equation x'' - \frac{1}{x^2} = 0, where a mass at the origin is pulling a smaller particle. The solution involved the equation \frac{1}{2} (x')^2 + \frac{1}{x} = C, where C is a constant. There was also a discussion about using Mathematica to solve the integral \int \frac{dx}{2\sqrt{C-1/x}}, which resulted in a complicated formula. It was mentioned that there is a formula for solving integrals of the form 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) for complex numbers, but it is not clear if it applies in this
bcyang

Homework Statement

The problem occurred when solving [tex] x'' - \frac{1}{x^2} = 0 [/tex].
You can think of this as if there is a mass in the origin (M) and a small particle (m << M) is being pulled by this mass.

Daniel helped me to solve this diff. eq. and we are at

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2} (x')^2 + \frac{1}{x} = C[/tex] where C is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked Mathematica to solve [tex] \int \frac{dx}{2\sqrt{C-1/x}} [/tex]. It gives me some very complicated formula which isn't too handy. At first, this problem seemed to me a trivial exercise, but now I realize that this may not be an easy one. I hope somebody can help. Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know there's a formula to solve integrals of the form 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) but I'm not sure if holds for complex numbers.

if integration is about the same for complex numbers then you can try getting it in the form of the derivative of arcsin x.

Related to Can the Integral of 1/sqrt(a^2-x^2) be Applied to Complex Numbers?

1. What is a "Very complicated formula"?

A "Very complicated formula" is a mathematical equation or set of equations that is complex and difficult to understand or solve. It may involve multiple variables, functions, and operations.

2. What is the purpose of a "Very complicated formula"?

The purpose of a "Very complicated formula" is typically to model a real-world phenomenon or solve a complex problem. It can also be used to make predictions or analyze data.

3. How is a "Very complicated formula" developed?

A "Very complicated formula" is usually developed through a combination of theoretical principles, experimentation, and mathematical analysis. It may also involve trial and error and refinement over time.

4. Can anyone understand a "Very complicated formula"?

While some "Very complicated formulas" may be more difficult to understand than others, they are all based on fundamental mathematical principles and can be broken down into smaller components. With enough time and effort, anyone can understand a "Very complicated formula".

5. What are some examples of "Very complicated formulas"?

Examples of "Very complicated formulas" include the Navier-Stokes equations in fluid dynamics, the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics, and the Black-Scholes model in finance. These are just a few of the many complex formulas used in various fields of science and mathematics.