Trouble with Late Friday Night Homework

• Thread starter erok81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving the equation y' = (1/2)(y-1)^2 and finding the correct solution. The person attempted to use variable separation and integration but encountered errors. They mention a possible algebra error and ask for assistance.
erok81

Homework Statement

I have no clue why I am having trouble with this...late friday night homework maybe.

Solve: [tex]y'=\frac{1}{2}(y-1)^{2}[/tex]
y(0)=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried variable separation and integrating from there:

[tex]\frac{y'}{(y-1)^{2}}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I'm not sure why that didn't work, but I couldn't get the correct from that.Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both sides of that equation by dx and it should be a very simple integral... Just make sure you get all of your signs correct.

EDIT: Although the second equation should be (y-1) and not (y-2).

Oh yes, that was a typo - thank you

I'll give it another go. For some reason after integrating it didn't look right so I gave up too soon. I am pretty sure my error is in the algebra at the end. :redface:

erok81 said:
Oh yes, that was a typo - thank you

I'll give it another go. For some reason after integrating it didn't look right so I gave up too soon. I am pretty sure my error is in the algebra at the end. :redface:

If you show your algebra, I might be able to help you.

What is "Trouble with Late Friday Night Homework"?

"Trouble with Late Friday Night Homework" is a common issue experienced by students where they struggle to complete their homework assignments on Friday nights, often leading to late submissions.

What are the reasons for facing trouble with late Friday night homework?

The reasons for facing trouble with late Friday night homework can vary from student to student. Some common reasons include fatigue from a busy week, social events or activities that take up time, procrastination, and difficulty concentrating due to exhaustion or distractions.

How can I avoid facing trouble with late Friday night homework?

To avoid facing trouble with late Friday night homework, it is important to plan ahead and manage your time effectively throughout the week. This can include breaking up assignments into smaller, more manageable tasks, prioritizing tasks based on deadlines, and avoiding distractions during designated study or homework time.

What can I do if I'm already facing trouble with late Friday night homework?

If you are already facing trouble with late Friday night homework, try to prioritize your tasks and focus on the most important ones first. Take breaks when needed to avoid burnout and try to eliminate any distractions. If you are still struggling, consider reaching out to a teacher or tutor for help.

How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance while still completing my homework on Friday nights?

Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is important for overall well-being. To achieve this while still completing homework on Friday nights, it is important to prioritize self-care and relaxation throughout the week. This can include setting aside time for hobbies or activities, getting enough rest, and avoiding over-scheduling. It is also important to communicate with friends and family about your responsibilities and to not feel guilty for taking time for yourself.