Very tricky double integration problem

• Thread starter jcook735
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the double integral can be difficult to solve and may require the use of integration by parts.
jcook735
Calculate the double integral.

∫∫((5x)/(xsquared)+(ysquared)) dA, R = [1,4] x [0,1].
Find the value of the integral.

Well I tried the integral starting with x and then starting with y and couldn't do it either way. Ill show the method using x first. To start off I tried using U-substitution to be able to integrate according to y. I had u = x^2 and du=2xdx. I pulled the 5 out of the equation, then put u in place of x^2 squared at the bottom of the equation, then put a 2 in the equation and a .5 outside the equation so i could replace 2xdx with du. So i ended up with the equation (5/2)∫du/(u+y^2). I then took the integral so that I ended up with (5/2) ln|u+y^2| (evaluated from 1 to 4). I then plugged in x^2 for u. So then I plugged in 4 and 1, and got ∫{(5/2)[ln|16+y^2| - ln|1+y^2|}dy. So then I set it up for the integral according to y. I used integration by parts on ln|16+y^2|, and got stuck. I found u=ln|16+y^2| and dv to equal dy. Then I found du to equal (2y)/(16+y^2) and v to equal y. I then plugged this into the given formula, vu-∫vdu. This is where I got stuck. How do I take the integral of vdu, aka (2y^2)/(16+y^2)? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jcook735! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
jcook735 said:
How do I take the integral of vdu, aka (2y^2)/(16+y^2)? Help would be greatly appreciated.

that looks pretty good so far!

ok, you need to integrate 2y2/(16+y2)

just write it 2 - 32/(16+y2) :wink:

(the second part is a trig integral)

For your last question, 2y^2/(16 + y^2) = 2 - 32/(y^2 + 16)

oh haha my bad I didnt know you could do that. why does y^2 turn into 32??

OH! I got it. Thank you guys so much :)

can yall check to make sure i did my integration correctly? for the equation you gave me, I should end up with 2y - (1/2)arctan(y/4), correct?

jcook735 said:
can yall check to make sure i did my integration correctly? for the equation you gave me, I should end up with 2y - (1/2)arctan(y/4), correct?

You need to write it out more clearly if you want people to check it. :wink:

But anyway, wasn't there an integral of something over (1 + y2) also?

Also, since this was a definite integral, you should end up with a number.

tiny-tim - That integral of something over 1 + y^2 was probably what turned into the arctan part.

alright my bad. I am taking the ∫2- 32/16+y2.

first, i separated the parts, so I have ∫2 - ∫(32)/(16+y2).

The first integral is 2y.

For the second integral, i pulled 16 out of the bottom, so i had (32)/((16)(1+(y/4)2)). I canceled out the 32 and 16, so i ended up with (2)/(1+(y/4)2). So then its 2∫(1)/(1+(y/4)2). This should turn out to be (8)arctan(y/4), correct?

So the whole equation should be 2y-(8)arctan(y/4).

That looks ok, but it was the whole thing that was bothering me :redface:

you had " ∫{(5/2)[ln|16+y^2| - ln|1+y^2|}dy " in your first post, and the second bit seems to have gone missing.

Oh well I just needed help on the first part cause the second part followed suit. I got it right thank you both very much!

Cool nice job!

1. How do I approach a very tricky double integration problem?

When dealing with a double integration problem, it is important to first identify the limits of integration for both variables. Then, use the appropriate integration rules (such as the power rule or substitution) to solve each integral separately. Finally, combine the two solutions into a single solution.

2. Can I use any integration rule for a double integration problem?

No, not all integration rules can be used for double integration problems. Some commonly used rules include the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the problem and choose the most appropriate integration rule.

3. How do I know if I have solved a double integration problem correctly?

One way to check if you have solved a double integration problem correctly is to differentiate the solution. If the resulting expression matches the original integrand, then your solution is likely correct. You can also use numerical methods to approximate the solution and compare it to your calculated solution.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solve tricky double integration problems?

Yes, there are some techniques that can make solving double integration problems easier. For example, if the limits of integration are symmetric, you can use the symmetry property to simplify the integrand. Another trick is to recognize patterns and use them to simplify the integrand or apply a specific integration rule.

5. Can I use software or calculators to solve double integration problems?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve double integration problems. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the integration rules and techniques in order to interpret and verify the results generated by these tools.