Can a 2-Pole Motor Handle 600 Tons? VFD and Motor Question - Expert Opinions

• Thread starter vsdguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Vfd
In summary, the conversation includes a customer who mistakenly connected a 75kW Vfd to a 75kW 2 pole 3 phase motor instead of a 4 pole motor. The question is whether the 2 pole motor can develop enough torque to pull a load of 600 tons, with torque loads of 240Nm for a 2 pole and 480Nm for a 4 pole. The person asking the question is wondering if they need to change the motor and is seeking opinions and advice.
vsdguy
Hi all,

I have a 75kW high load Ac drive and a 75kW 4 pole 3 phase motor that is supposed to be used for a winch pulling horizontaly.

The customer connected the Vfd to a 75kW 2 pole 3 phase motor.

Now the question is will this 2 pole motor be capable to develop enough torque to pull a load of 600 Tons?

The Torque Loads for a 2 pole is 240Nm and for a 4 pole its 480Nm.

Do I have to change the motor (back to a 4 pole)?

Just wanted a second and third opinion from you all.

Kind Regards,

vsdguy

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it is already hooked up, couldn't you just try it?

I am like a 1000 miles away from the motor and the drive. Customer called that by mistake they received a 2pole instead of a 4 pole. I was just curious if someone ran into a similar experience. The application is for pulling vesels and loads at the worst case scenario 600 tons.
As I mentioned earlier will I have enough torque that will sustain that load.

Any help would be beneficial.

vsdguy

What is a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) and how does it work?

A VFD is an electronic device used to control the speed of an electric motor by adjusting the frequency of the power supplied to the motor. It works by converting the incoming AC power to DC, and then inverting it back to AC at variable frequencies to control the motor speed.

What are the benefits of using a VFD with a motor?

Using a VFD allows for precise control of motor speed, resulting in energy savings and improved efficiency. It also reduces wear and tear on the motor, extends its lifespan, and reduces the need for maintenance. Additionally, VFDs can help reduce power surges and improve the overall performance of the motor.

What types of motors can be controlled by a VFD?

VFDs can be used with various types of motors, including AC induction motors, permanent magnet motors, and synchronous reluctance motors. The size and type of motor needed will depend on the application and the desired speed control.

How do I select the right VFD for my motor?

When selecting a VFD for a motor, factors to consider include the motor's power rating, voltage and frequency requirements, and the VFD's current and voltage ratings. It is also essential to consider the application and any environmental factors that may affect the VFD's performance.

What are some common issues that can arise when using a VFD with a motor?

Some common issues that can occur when using a VFD with a motor include overheating, voltage spikes, and harmonic distortion. These issues can be avoided by properly sizing and selecting the VFD, following installation and maintenance guidelines, and using protective measures such as filters and surge suppressors.