Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video of huge burst of light in Russia

1. Nov 21, 2014 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

http://www.iflscience.com/space/what-was-weird-flash-over-russia

On the evening of Friday, November 14, citizens near Russia’s Sverdlovsk region saw a large orange burst of light. There was not an immediately obvious cause for this giant flash in the sky. Was it another asteroid? A meteor? A munitions explosion?

Ideas on most likely cause?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Elapsed time of event from dark to dark, magnitude, and optical conditions? Meteorite/bolide. Leonid? Or, stray.

4. Nov 21, 2014 #3

NTW

Incidents at high-voltage transforming stations are not usually big news, but produce spectacular arcing, visible many kilometers away, specially with cloud cover, as is the case here...

5. Nov 21, 2014 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In that last video, you can see faint bursts of orange in the moments before the huge burst, which makes me think meteorite. If you saw the video I posted of the meteor over Austin, TX about a week ago, it had small bursts then a huge burst before disappearing.

6. Nov 21, 2014 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It seems to be a ground based event judging from the light cone from the ground to sky at 0:18.

7. Nov 21, 2014 #6

Evo

They did not show that snippet of footage in the two videos in the first post. That does look like it was ground based and reflecting up against the clouds instead of being above the clouds as one scientist said.

8. Nov 21, 2014 #7

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Seems too slow to be a munitions explosion. My guess would be a large LNG tank explosion or something like that. The boiling liquid from a smaller fire creates a large gas cloud that burns quickly to nothing when the tank ruptures.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  9. Nov 21, 2014 #8

Evo

That would explain the denial, something exploded that wasn't supposed to, so they deny it happened.

10. Nov 21, 2014 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just ran it up on Gargoyle Earth --- kinda out in the boonies.

11. Nov 21, 2014 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A few things of note:
    - no mention or recording of a bang or shockwave, at least not in those short clips
    - it sure fades away fast, like really fast
    - at 0:24s, as it fades, you can see the bright stationary dot right on the horizon for just a second

No idea what any of these might mean.

12. Nov 21, 2014 #11

nsaspook

Science Advisor

No matter what happened I'm thinking vodka might have been involved.

13. Nov 21, 2014 #12
    I'm inclined to think large gas burn the flare up time would be about right for a warehouse going up.

screenshot1a_zps410e077f.png

you definitely see ground flame which looks much wider at first a factory igniting could spread like that. what sucks is if this is a factory bursting into flame just how many people were hurt by it?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  14. Nov 21, 2014 #13

Astronuc

The video reminds me of a large gas pipeline failure and explosion that I felt from about 30 miles away. About 36+ years ago, I was doing homework late at night, when I saw the sky to the south light up. Moments later, I heard the windows rattling and felt a rumble. The following day, the local news reported a major (~1 m or so) gas pipeline explosion.

15. Nov 21, 2014 #14

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Out in the boonies with a couple nice ponds/lakes in vicinity --- haven't swung down to low obliques of them from roads in the area, but reflections could be nice imitations of surface catastrophes.

16. Nov 21, 2014 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am having quite a bit of trouble parsing that sentence fragment, let alone figure out what it's trying to contribute.

17. Nov 21, 2014 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From previous comment on Google Earth, "boonies," and later, looking again at the area, noting the number of lakes or ponds within eyeshot of roads. Further, I note that I have not examined the low oblique viewing feature for possibilities of reflections from those bodies of water.

18. Nov 21, 2014 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Ah. The missing, critical element is that you are "flying" using Google Earth.

Without that, both your posts read like you are tripping. o0)

19. Nov 21, 2014 #18

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was being deliberately cute with the first post and identified the source of the "boonies" information as "Gargoyle Earth." That must have been clipped when I was switching back and forth from screen to screen --- sometimes PF saves my partial replies for additions, and sometimes it doesn't --- this was one of the "doesn'ts," and I didn't catch it --- it really does look cryptic.

20. Nov 21, 2014 #19
    the video i took the screen shot from has a few seconds of ground flames its unmistakeable for a reflection from a ground pond or water the angles wrong for it with the trees. I would be very surprised if a meteor hit the ground the sky and ground effects would be reversed at least according to the one video which shows both simultaneously in the shot.

21. Nov 23, 2014 #20
    I guess such things are not so rare in Russia:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook