Virtual particle propagators in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the general form of the propagator for a virtual particle in particle physics, which is expressed as a fraction with a sum over spins in the numerator and the difference between the momentum squared and the mass squared in the denominator. The conversation also mentions the Dirac propagator and an argument for its validity using the Klein-Gordon operator and its eigenstates.
Matthaeus
I am reading a nice book (Quarks and Leptons, by Halzen and Martin) about particle physics. It states that the general form of the propagator of a virtual particle is:
[tex]
\dfrac{i\sum_{\text{spins}}}{p^2 - m^2}
[/tex]

I see that this is the case for the Dirac propagator:

[tex]
\dfrac{i(\displaystyle{\not}{p} + m)}{p^2 - m^2} = \dfrac{i\sum_{s}u_s(p)\bar{u}_s(p)}{p^2 - m^2}
[/tex]

but how can I prove that always holds?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matthaeus , I agree, Halzen and Martin is a very well written book, and highly useful. Although it does tend to be a bit informal, and you are not going to catch them "proving" anything. So in the same spirit, here is not a proof but an argument.

Let's say you have an operator L, which is generally a differential operator, and in particular will be the Klein-Gordon operator. You want to find the field |φ> at one point produced by a source |S> at another. The equation is L|φ> = |S>. The solution can be written formally as |φ> = L-1|S>. Expand L in terms of its eigenstates, namely L = ∑|n>Ln<n| where |n> are the eigenstates and Ln the eigenvalues. Then L-1 = ∑|n>Ln-1<n|. Thus |φ> = G|S> where G is the Green's function or propagator, G = ∑|n>Ln-1<n|.

For the Klein-Gordon operator the eigenstates are the plane wave solutions, Ln = k2 + m2, and the numerator ∑|n><n| is the sum over spins. Halzen and Martin go on to write this out in more detail for the only cases that are physically realistic: spin 0, 1/2 and 1.

Yes, I was also thinking about something along these lines.
Thanks.

1. What are virtual particles in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Virtual particles are particles that exist only fleetingly in a quantum field theory calculation, as opposed to real particles, which are observable and have long-term existence. They are used to explain the interactions between real particles, and their existence is a consequence of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

2. How do virtual particles propagate in QFT?

Virtual particles are said to propagate through the exchange of force-carrying particles, such as photons or gluons, between interacting particles. These exchanges occur in a very short amount of time and cannot be observed directly, but their effects can be seen in the behavior of real particles.

3. What is the role of virtual particle propagators in QFT?

Virtual particle propagators are mathematical tools used in QFT calculations to describe the probability of a virtual particle being exchanged between two interacting particles. They are represented by lines in Feynman diagrams and are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. Can virtual particles be observed in experiments?

No, virtual particles cannot be observed directly because they exist for such a short period of time. However, their effects can be measured indirectly through various physical phenomena, such as the Lamb shift in atomic spectra or the Casimir effect.

5. How do virtual particles contribute to the vacuum energy in QFT?

In QFT, the vacuum is not considered to be empty but rather filled with a sea of virtual particles constantly popping in and out of existence. These particles contribute to the vacuum energy, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum field theory that is still being studied and understood by scientists.