Virtual Particles; Making the Universe an Open System?

In summary, the question posed is whether the existence of virtual particles would make the universe an open system. This concept is derived from perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams, but there is no fundamental evidence for their existence and they violate energy-momentum relation. Additionally, they cannot be part of a non-perturbative theory and therefore do not pose a threat to the closedness of the universe.
Thomas Eaton
The question here is simple; would the existence of virtual particles make the universe an open system? And if not, why? I thank all who consider this question for their time and would love to hear an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have tons of threads on virtual particles. I suggest a forum search.

Likes bhobba
Why would it?

To the OP: What is your definition of an open system?

Likes Demystifier
The concept of virtual particles come from the mathematical structure of perturbation theory.
Even more than that, they come from Feynman diagrams, which is a way to interpret the terms in the perturbation in field theory.

This poses two points:

1) Although people interpret some phenomena using this concept there is no fundamental evidence that they really exist. I mean, they are used as tool of interpretation without being connected to any observable directly. Also they would violate energy-momentum relation of special relativity (they are off-shell). One might think that's not a big deal. That's when my second point comes in

2) This is a problem I see which I would be glad if someone has an answer for it. As they come from Feynman diagrams, which come from perturbation theory how would they make sense in a non-perturbative theory? As far as I know they can't (it even makes sense to me that they never will). As a non-perturbative approach is more general, in fact indispensable when dealing with phenomena other than scattering, they cannot be part of the fundamental concepts of physics.

Therefore, my answer is no because there is no virtual particles.
Even if you'd like to consider them (for sake of reasoning), as they are not observable they should put no threat to the closedness of the universe.

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that are not directly observable, but instead exist for a short period of time as a result of quantum fluctuations in the vacuum of space. They are constantly popping in and out of existence and play a crucial role in many fundamental physical processes.

2. How do virtual particles make the universe an open system?

Virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed in the vacuum of space, which leads to a constant exchange of energy and information. This allows the universe to be in a state of continuous change, making it an open system rather than a closed, static one.

3. Can virtual particles be observed?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed because they exist for such a short period of time and do not leave a trace. However, their effects can be observed through various physical phenomena and calculations.

4. How do virtual particles affect the behavior of particles in the universe?

Virtual particles constantly interact with and affect the behavior of particles in the universe. They can create attractive or repulsive forces between particles, contribute to the creation of new particles, and even change the mass and properties of particles.

5. Are virtual particles important for our understanding of the universe?

Yes, virtual particles are essential for our understanding of the universe as they play a crucial role in various physical phenomena, including the behavior of particles, the creation of matter, and the structure of space-time. They also help bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity.