What is the resistive force without considering buoyancy?

In summary: No. There is an upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid acting on the block, equal to weight of the displaced liquid ρliqVg. So the net downward force from the weight of the block combined with the upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid is equal to...?No. There is an upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid acting on the block, equal to weight of the displaced liquid ρliqVg. So the net downward force from the weight of the block combined with the upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid is equal to...?In summary, the homework statement is saying that the resistive force is the weight
charlies1902

Homework Statement

Attached.

I am working on part (i). What is the resistive force?

Shear stress= μ*(du/dy) = μU/l = F/A

Since the force is up and down, it causes a shear stress, thus area is parallel to the force and thus it is the 4 faces B*L

Thus, A=4*B*L

→ F=μ*U*A/l = 4*μ*U*L*B/l

Where = viscosity
l=clearance gap
L=length of block
F=Resistive force
A=Area

I'm not sure if that is the correct method. Can someone please verify?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. The fluid in the gap exerts a vertical shear force on the 4 vertical sides of the block. Looks like the analysis is right on target.

Okay thanks, the second part asks me to find the "terminal velocity"

This is what I did

F=4*μ*U*L*B/l=ma
m=ρV
Where ρ is the density of the solid, not the fluid
and V is the volume of the block = (B^2)*L

Plugging that in and simplifying I got U=ρ*B*g*l / (4*μ)

I'm a bit hesitant on that answer because it did not involve the density of the fluid. Is this the correct method?

No. There is an upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid acting on the block, equal to weight of the displaced liquid ρliqVg. So the net downward force from the weight of the block combined with the upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid is equal to...?

Chestermiller said:
No. There is an upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid acting on the block, equal to weight of the displaced liquid ρliqVg. So the net downward force from the weight of the block combined with the upward (buoyant) force from the surrounding liquid is equal to...?

Oh, I think I'm supposed to ignore that. The problem stated to neglect buoyancy. Is that still necessary?

What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is essentially a measure of how thick or sticky a fluid is.

How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity is typically measured using a device called a viscometer. This device measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a small tube or gap under a known pressure or force.

What factors affect the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid is affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition and structure of the fluid itself. Generally, higher temperatures and lower pressures result in lower viscosity, while more complex and larger molecules tend to have higher viscosity.

What is the difference between dynamic and kinematic viscosity?

Dynamic viscosity, also known as absolute viscosity, is a measure of a fluid's resistance to shear stress, or how easily it will flow when subjected to an external force. Kinematic viscosity, on the other hand, takes into account the density of the fluid and is a measure of how quickly the fluid will flow due to gravity. It is calculated by dividing dynamic viscosity by density.

Why is viscosity important in fluid mechanics?

Viscosity plays a crucial role in many aspects of fluid mechanics, including the flow of liquids through pipes, the movement of air around objects, and the behavior of fluids in pumps and turbines. It also affects the stability and behavior of fluids in many industrial and natural processes, such as mixing, lubrication, and weather patterns.