Viscously Damped System: Maximum Displacement Calculation

In summary, a viscously damped system with a stiffness of 5000 N/m, critical damping constant of 0.2 N-s/m, and a logarithmic decrement of 2.0 is given an initial velocity of 1 m/s. The maximum displacement is found by setting the first t critical for t > 0 and solving for x(t). However, there may be a typo in the given critical damping constant, as it is typically given in kN-s/m or N-s/mm in similar problems.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

A viscously damped system has a stiffness of 5000 N/m, critical damping constant of 0.2 N-s/m, and a logarithmic decrement of 2.0. If the system is given an initial velocity of 1 m/s, determine the maximum displacement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the question, we have that ##k = 5000##, ##\delta = 2.0##, ##c_c = 0.2##, and ##\dot{x}(0) = 1##. I suppose we are also assuming then that ##x(0) = 0## then for no initial displacement.

Then
$$
\zeta = \frac{\delta}{\sqrt{(2\pi)^2 + \delta^2}}\approx 0.303314
$$
and
$$
\zeta = \frac{c}{c_c}\Rightarrow c = c_c\zeta\approx 0.0606629
$$

Our general equation of motion is
\begin{align}
x(t) &= e^{-\zeta\omega_nt}\Bigg[x(0)\cos\bigg(\omega_nt\sqrt{1 - \zeta^2}\bigg) +
\frac{\dot{x}(0) + \zeta\omega_nx(0)}{\omega_n\sqrt{1 - \zeta^2}}\sin\bigg(\omega_nt\sqrt{1 - \zeta^2}\bigg)\Bigg]\\
&= e^{-\zeta\omega_nt}\frac{\dot{x}(0)}{\omega_n\sqrt{1 - \zeta^2}}\sin\bigg(\omega_nt\sqrt{1 - \zeta^2}\bigg)
\end{align}
Since ##c_c = 2\sqrt{km}##, ##m = \frac{c_c^2}{4k} = 2\times 10^{-6}##.

I feel wary of the mass being so small which leads to ##\omega_n = 50000##.

Then to find the maximum displacement, I set ##\dot{x} = 0##, and since this is an underdamped system, the max displacement will be at the first t critical for t > 0.

So ##t_c = 0.000026501## and ##x_{\max} = 0.0000133809##.

Is this correct is or something wrong or is this method incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check how you derived the formula for your mass calculation. I get hundreds of kg.

The effort you put into casting this in Latex is appreciated. :cool:

Dustinsfl said:

Homework Statement

A viscously damped system has a stiffness of 5000 N/m, critical damping constant of 0.2 N-s/m, and a logarithmic decrement of 2.0. If the system is given an initial velocity of 1 m/s, determine the maximum displacement.

Homework Equations

I couldn't fid anything wrong including the mass and radian frequency calculations but I did not do the final part to find xmax (setting dx(t)/dt = 0 etc.). Straightforward but laborious ...

NascentOxygen said:
Check how you derived the formula for your mass calculation. I get hundreds of kg.

The effort you put into casting this in Latex is appreciated. :cool:

How did you find the mass then? I ask because rude man doesn't see an issue so I have two different views of the same problem.

Dustinsfl said:
How did you find the mass then? I ask because rude man doesn't see an issue so I have two different views of the same problem.

Welcome to the club! Happens a lot on these forums. :smile:

mx'' + Cx' + Kx = f(t)

K = mω²

Just check, but isn't C = mc?

Zeta = c/c_c

Where c is the damping coefficient and c_c is the critical damping so c=c_c*zeta

I think you'll find that where the coefficient of x'' is m, the coefficient of x' is mc and written as C.

Does the textbook give you their answers?

NascentOxygen said:
I think you'll find that where the coefficient of x'' is m, the coefficient of x' is mc and written as C.

Does the textbook give you their answers?

If the coefficient of x'' is m the the coefficient of x' is c.
mx'' is force and so is cx'. And so are kx and any forcing function F(t).

You're right. So I need to find the missing thousands some other way. Dustinsfl, could you check the original question and see whether ##c_c## isn't actually given in N-s/mm? The textbook answer would be useful here.

The units for c_c are in the problem statement post one. The book has no answer to this problem.

Similar questions in your textbook may reveal that ##c_c## is being given typically in kN-s/m (or N-s/mm), suggesting a typo in this question.

NascentOxygen said:
You're right. So I need to find the missing thousands some other way. Dustinsfl, could you check the original question and see whether ##c_c## isn't actually given in N-s/mm? The textbook answer would be useful here.

What "missing thousands"?

The factor that turns it into something realistic. :w

1. What is a viscously damped system?

A viscously damped system is a type of mechanical system that experiences resistance to motion due to the presence of a viscous material, such as oil or grease, in its mechanism. This resistance is known as damping and it helps to dissipate energy and reduce the amplitude of oscillations or vibrations in the system.

2. How is maximum displacement calculated in a viscously damped system?

The maximum displacement in a viscously damped system can be calculated using the equation: xmax = A * e^(-ζωnt), where A is the initial amplitude, ζ is the damping ratio, ωn is the natural frequency of the system, and t is the time elapsed. This equation is based on the logarithmic decrement method.

3. What factors affect the maximum displacement in a viscously damped system?

The maximum displacement in a viscously damped system is affected by the initial amplitude, damping ratio, and natural frequency of the system. Higher initial amplitudes and lower damping ratios will result in larger maximum displacements, while higher natural frequencies will result in smaller maximum displacements.

4. How does damping affect the maximum displacement in a viscously damped system?

Damping plays a crucial role in determining the maximum displacement in a viscously damped system. Higher damping ratios will result in a faster dissipation of energy and therefore a smaller maximum displacement. On the other hand, lower damping ratios will result in slower dissipation of energy and a larger maximum displacement.

5. What are some real-life examples of viscously damped systems?

Viscously damped systems can be found in many real-life applications, such as shock absorbers in cars, suspension systems in buildings and bridges, and vibration isolation systems in machinery. They are also used in musical instruments, such as pianos and drums, to control the amplitude of vibrations and produce a desired sound.