Voltage/Current of inductor and capactiors 2nd order circuits

In summary, the question is asking for an explanation as to why the top inductor on the left has a voltage of 3.816V when the current is 0A. The person asking also mentions working out the voltage at t=0+ and asks for an explanation of their KCL or KVL equations and solution for the inductor voltage at that time.
Larrytsai
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~shahriar/eece251_notes/eece251_assignment6.pdf

Question 4 on the link.

I understand why the top inductor to the left has i = 0A but I don't understand why it has a voltage of 3.816V, can anyone care to explain?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~shahriar/eece251_notes/eece251_assignment6.pdf

Question 4 on the link.

I understand why the top inductor to the left has i = 0A but I don't understand why it has a voltage of 3.816V, can anyone care to explain?

When you work out the voltage across the inductor at t=0+, what do you get for the voltage? Can you show us your KCL or KVL equations and your solution for the inductor voltage at t=0+?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the voltage and current in a second order circuit with inductors and capacitors?

The formula for calculating the voltage and current in a second order circuit is V(t) = V(0)e^(-t/RC)cos(ωt - φ) for a capacitor and I(t) = I(0)e^(-t/RC)cos(ωt + φ) for an inductor, where V(t) and I(t) are the voltage and current at a given time t, V(0) and I(0) are the initial voltage and current, RC is the time constant of the circuit, ω is the frequency of the AC source, and φ is the phase angle.

2. How do the voltage and current change over time in a second order circuit with inductors and capacitors?

In a second order circuit with inductors and capacitors, the voltage and current oscillate sinusoidally with a decaying amplitude over time. This is due to the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor being constantly transferred back and forth between them.

3. How does the value of the inductor or capacitor affect the voltage and current in a second order circuit?

The value of the inductor or capacitor affects the time constant of the circuit, which in turn affects the rate at which the voltage and current oscillate. A larger value for the inductor or capacitor will result in a longer time constant and slower oscillations, while a smaller value will result in a shorter time constant and faster oscillations.

4. What happens to the voltage and current in a second order circuit if the AC frequency is changed?

If the AC frequency is changed, the voltage and current will change accordingly. The time constant of the circuit will also change, which will affect the rate of oscillation.

5. What is the significance of the phase angle in a second order circuit with inductors and capacitors?

The phase angle in a second order circuit represents the phase difference between the voltage and current. It is an important factor in determining the behavior of the circuit and can be used to calculate the power factor, which is a measure of how efficiently the circuit is using the energy from the AC source.