Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage Multiplier Circuit Design

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    I have made a 3 stage voltage multiplier. My input is from the outlet so 120 V ac. I measure my output from the first and last capacitors of the bottom row as shown in the image. The output I am getting is 120 V dc. From the equation Vout(dc) = Vin(ac)*sqrt(2)*number of stages. With this equation I should be getting around 500 V dc theoretically. I am not sure what is going on, anybody have any insight? Thank in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Look more like a 3 stage diode fryer. I assume you are simulating this and have not actually built anything.

Where did that circuit and equation come from?

4. May 9, 2014 #3
    If you google voltage multiplier circuit that is the circuit that comes up. You can check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier

The equation I don't remember what source but it was from a google search also.

Do you have any suggestions if I am inputting ac to multiply 3 or 4 times to get dc output?

5. May 9, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is your background and level of knowledge/experience in electronics? How much have you worked with AC Mains and high voltages in the past? What you are doing is dangerous.

6. May 9, 2014 #5
    I have theoretical experience but not any hands on. I have worked with high voltage power supplies but not with AC mains.

My actual goal is to take a neon sign transformer which gives me 9500 V and put it through my multiplier to get close to 40,000 V dc to power a vacuum tube.

7. May 9, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm sorry, but with that level of experience, this is too dangerous for us to offer you help. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook