Voltage Output of Op-Amp: Solving for Vo in a 10-kΩ Circuit

V.In summary, the conversation discusses determining the output voltage across a 10-kΩ resistor in a circuit using the ideal op-amp model. It is mentioned that the currents in both positive and negative terminals of the op-amp are zero, resulting in no voltage drop across the 2 kΩ and 50 Ω resistors. The output voltage is determined to be 4V based on the golden rule and the voltage at both terminals being the same. However, there is uncertainty about the answer.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine vo across the 10-kΩ resistor in the circuit below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For this problem, using the ideal op-amp model, I believe the currents are zero in both the positive and negative terminals of the op amp. Therefore, there is no voltage drop across neither the 2 kΩ resistor nor the 50 Ω resistor. I know the golden rule that you cannot do KCL at the output of an op-amp, and knowing the voltage at the negative and positive terminals is the same, I conclude that the output voltage is just 5V-1V = 4V. This seems weird, but its what my analysis produces. I am uncertain of my answer though.

Attachments

• 6.1.png
    6.1.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 516
  • 6.1 attempt 1.jpg
    6.1 attempt 1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 502
  • 6.1 attempt 1.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 285
Physics news on Phys.org
For an ideal op amp, your analysis is correct

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp (operational amplifier) is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages to produce a larger output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for amplification, filtering, and mathematical operations.

2. How is the voltage output of an op-amp determined?

The voltage output of an op-amp is determined by the difference between the voltage at its positive and negative input terminals, known as the input voltage. This voltage is then multiplied by the op-amp's gain, which is a measure of how much the output voltage will increase in relation to the input voltage.

3. What is the ideal voltage output of an op-amp?

The ideal voltage output of an op-amp is equal to the supply voltage, which is the maximum voltage that the op-amp can output without distortion. However, in reality, the output voltage of an op-amp will be slightly less than the supply voltage due to internal resistance and other factors.

4. How does the voltage output of an op-amp change with different input voltages?

The voltage output of an op-amp will change in proportion to the difference between the input voltages. If the input voltages are equal, the output voltage will be zero. As the difference between the input voltages increases, the output voltage will also increase, until it reaches the maximum output voltage determined by the op-amp's gain and supply voltage.

5. What factors can affect the voltage output of an op-amp?

The voltage output of an op-amp can be affected by a variety of factors, including the power supply voltage, the input voltage, and the op-amp's internal characteristics such as gain and bandwidth. Other external factors such as temperature, noise, and interference can also impact the voltage output of an op-amp.