Does a capacitor delay the voltage from a voltage source in a circuit?

In summary, the voltage source's supplied voltage may be delayed by the capacitor, causing a 'lagging' voltage due to the capacitor's characteristics. However, the voltage source is still able to function as intended regardless of what is happening in the circuit. The current through the resistor will be in phase with the voltage supply, while the current through the capacitor will lead the capacitor voltage by 90 degrees.
JustStudying
If we have a circuit (see attached)
will our voltage source's supplied voltage be delayed by the capacitor in anyway?
(as the voltage across a capacitor lags the current through a capacitor by 90 degrees)
then, as the resistor,voltage source, and capacitor are all in parallel does this
cause the voltage source to end up supplying a 'lagging' voltage (due to the capacitor's characteristics)?

OR is the capacitor forced to experience whatever the voltage source is supplying?
(therefore causing the inductor current to lead the capacitor by 90 deg)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
JustStudying said:
OR is the capacitor forced to experience whatever the voltage source is supplying?
That's it. We assume that the voltage source is able to do what it is supposed to, regardless of what is going on in the circuit. And you are right, the current will lead the voltage by 90 degrees.

Likes 1 person
JustStudying said:
Inductor? Resistor? What is it?

Resistor current lags the capacitor current by 90°.

JustStudying said:

Right.

What inductor current? What inductor?

EDIT:

If the voltage source is dc: for the capacitor, i = C dV(t)/dt. Since dV(t)/dt is infinitely large (going from 0 to V in zero time), the current is infinite for an infinitely short time.

Mathematically, V(t) = V U(t), the unit step function, and i(t) = CV δ(t) where δ(t) is the Dirac delta function with dimension T-1.

If the source is a sinusoid, which it just dawned on me it probably is, then yes, the current will lead the voltage by 90 deg. and its magnitude is wCV, w = 2 pi f.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
@NascentOxygen agreed. and when he says "inductor current", I was assuming he just meant current through the voltage source. Although "inductor current" is a term I have not heard before in this context...

@rude man - From the OP, I would guess that he/she is supposed to assume sinusoidal voltage

BruceW said:
@rude man - From the OP, I would guess that he/she is supposed to assume sinusoidal voltage

Yesd, that just dawned on me. Thanks.

sorry! i meant the capacitor current when i said 'inductor current' - got mixed up reading my notes over and over, thanks guys!

BruceW said:
That's it. We assume that the voltage source is able to do what it is supposed to, regardless of what is going on in the circuit. And you are right, the current will lead the voltage by 90 degrees.

So in this case, the current through the resistor should be in phase with the voltage supply, while the current through the capacitor leads the capacitor voltage by 90 deg am I correct?

Last edited:
JustStudying said:
So in this case, the current through the resistor should be in phase with the voltage supply, while the current through the capacitor leads the capacitor voltage by 90 deg am I correct?
You now realize you are really stating nothing new. "The current through the resistor is always in phase with the voltage across that resistor", while "the current through the capacitor always leads the capacitor voltage by 90 deg". :smile:

JustStudying said:

yep. you got it.

1. What is the difference between a voltage source and a capacitor?

A voltage source is a device that provides a constant voltage output, while a capacitor is a device that stores electrical charge and releases it when needed.

2. Can a voltage source and a capacitor be used interchangeably?

No, a voltage source and a capacitor serve different purposes and cannot be used interchangeably. A voltage source provides a constant voltage output, while a capacitor stores charge and releases it when needed.

3. How do voltage sources and capacitors affect circuit performance?

Voltage sources are essential for powering electronic devices and maintaining a stable voltage in a circuit. Capacitors, on the other hand, can store and release electrical energy, which can help with circuit stability and filtering out unwanted signals.

4. What are the common applications of voltage sources and capacitors?

Voltage sources are commonly used in power supplies for electronic devices, while capacitors are used in various applications such as filtering out noise in audio circuits, storing energy in camera flashes, and regulating voltage in power supplies.

5. Can a voltage source and a capacitor be used together in a circuit?

Yes, a voltage source and a capacitor can be used together in a circuit. The capacitor can help stabilize the voltage output of the source and also store and release energy when needed.