Voltage vs Fractional Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of variable voltage and fractional resistors in designing circuits that can run off 12v systems. The use of higher voltages is often necessary to support higher powers and avoid larger currents, which can result in increased costs and power loss. The formula P = I^2*R is referenced as a way to calculate power loss due to high currents in a system.
mearvk
Couldn't we just say the voltage could be variable, hold that as a constant, and design circuits which could run off completely safe 12v systems? Why not use fractional resistors to get the amperage to an arbitrary value?

In other words could you just make a resistor valued at, say, 0.10 ohms, to generate the same amperage as a 1 ohm system running at 10 times the voltage? So why even play with higher voltages?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mearvk said:
Couldn't we just say the voltage could be variable, hold that as a constant, and design circuits which could run off completely safe 12v systems? Why not use fractional resistors to get the amperage to an arbitrary value?

In other words could you just make a resistor valued at, say, 0.10 ohms, to generate the same amperage as a 1 ohm system running at 10 times the voltage? So why even play with higher voltages?

You generally use higher voltages to support higher powers, since the currents at low voltages can get large enough to require thick conductors (higher cost, weight, etc.).

Do you have specific examples in mind?

You don't exactly "generate" amperage in the sense you speak of it. But you really need to think in terms of power delivered, which is usually what you are after in the long run.

Say we had a 1K load and it requires 100ma (that's 10 watts) to do what we wanted it to do. We need 100V to get that current. As you said, If the resistence was 100 ohms, we would only need 10V to get 100ma, but that is only 1 Watt so the light wouldn't be as bright (or whatever), so we need to go up to 31.6V, which causes 316ma, for 10W.

If we want 10W with 10V we need to go down to 10ohms which is 1 amp. Now we need 10X bigger conductors or accept more power loss.

Power loss caused by high currents (proportional to the current squared) is the driving factor behind using 700KV or more in high power transmission lines.

Does that help?

What law says there's power loss proportional to current squared?

No, didn't have specific application in mind.

Thanks.

Derived from P = V * I = ( I * R ) * I = I^2*R so 10X current is 100X the watts loss in heat...

That formula is about power as a function of current and resistance. It says nothing about heat loss at higher current.

Talking about conductors - all of the power lost is heat. So for the same amount of losses - 2 x the current needs 1/4 of the resistance... ~ 4 x the copper.

My reference to power lost as the square of current is relative to the system being measured. For example if I have 1 amp at one volt running through a circuit, it is somehow dissipating 1 watt as a system. But let's say the wire is 0.1 ohm and the load is 0.9 ohm. Then 0.1 watts is dissipated in the wire. If the current increases to 2 amps (by whatever method, load reduced to 0.4 or voltage doubled) then 0.4 watts is dissipated in the wire. Period! End of Story!

The I^2 R dissipation of power is true regardless of what portion of the circuit you look at. Power adds linearly through the system.

The total system power may be dissipated as heat or any combination of work and heat (or sound, or light, etc). The heat and EM dissipation in wiring is generally assigned to the power loss category unless you are building a heater or an antenna (but that is arbitrary).

Related to Voltage vs Fractional Resistance

1. What is the relationship between voltage and fractional resistance?

The relationship between voltage and fractional resistance is known as Ohm's Law. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage and fractional resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), while fractional resistance is measured in ohms (Ω).

3. How does fractional resistance affect the voltage in a circuit?

As the fractional resistance in a circuit increases, the voltage in the circuit decreases. This is because resistance restricts the flow of current, resulting in a decrease in voltage.

4. Can voltage and fractional resistance be adjusted independently?

Yes, voltage and fractional resistance can be adjusted independently. This is because they are two separate components in a circuit. Changing the value of one will not affect the other unless they are directly connected.

5. How do you calculate the voltage in a circuit with fractional resistance?

The voltage in a circuit with fractional resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law: V = I x R, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms.